Best way to do 4 monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by radiogoober, Jan 3, 2012.

1. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Hi all, I'm not actually doing this, but am curious:

What would be the best way do use 4 monitors on a Mac (lets say a Macbook.)

I'm guessing: 1 MiniDP -> DVI, and 3 USB-> DVI?

Could you just run the USB -> DVI off of a hub? I know the adapter itself handles refreshes if nothing is occurring on the screen. But, with three USB adapters, would that hamper the normal performance of the computer quite a bit?

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

There are solutions that can emulate a large display, namely the Matrox TripleHeadToGo.

So you'd have the three displays connected to the box, and maybe another one via USB, or just the internal display.

3. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

The matrix solution is quite expensive!
    I did some research into what you're trying to find out and the Zotac Dual HDMI to mini dp is quite a good solution but like the matrix it creates one large monitor (so you want two with the same res) on MBPs 15" 2011 and you can use the Mbps monitor too. It's £35 though

Then you'd need 2 USB to dvi. The USB ones do lag though (more-so if you've got lots of colours on the screen or watching a movie). On 1280x1024 it runs 1080p movies pretty well though! Wouldn't dare try on a 1080p monitor though.

Maybe when thunderbolt becomes more main stream we'll see some more affordable pcie expansion boxes for graphics cards with multiple displays