Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmichael99

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
my mac mini is reaching 4tb of movies and current my backup right now is dragging and dropping to a windows shared drive.

im wanting to setup a timemachine to do my backups automatically..

what would be the best approach?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
my mac mini is reaching 4tb of movies and current my backup right now is dragging and dropping to a windows shared drive.

Either a large NAS or external hard drive will work.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Don't try TM with a NAS with that much storage, they are not approved by Apple.

Best means different things to different people.

Wireless will be agonizing slow, so attach a drive larger than 4TB to the mini.

USB3 drives will work (WD elements is less than $100 now days). Thunderbolt will work better.

If you want the initial backup to take less than a day and be more responsive, then buy a OWC Thunderbay last years model (TB1) from their clearance page. Load it with two 3TB NAS type drives or three/four 2TB NAS type drives. Use disk utility to RAID0 them. This will give you 6TB (or 8) of decent speed storage. But if you meant the least amount of money to get by when you say best, then this is not the approach you want. This approach will provide the much better performance and reliability, however. A bit better is to populate the enclosure with four 3TB drives Use disk utility to make two RAID0 pairs and then either tell time machine to alternate backups between the pairs or mirror them with disk utility. I perfer letting TM alternate.

If you insist on backing up wirelessly (or over ethernet), buy a airport extreme (if you don't already have one) and attach a USB drive larger than 4TB to it.

Last edited:

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia

Since my media drive - movies and music - doesn't change that much, I use CCC to update my backup copy. Easier to control which drives get copied.

TFL167

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
UK
Thanks for all for their imput as I'm also looking for the best way to do backups using TM. Also going to use CCC as another way to do this.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
My TM use a LaCie d2 6TB drive all the time in the background with zero problems. After an initial full backup, you should not be noticing when TM is making an incremental backup.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Since my media drive - movies and music - doesn't change that much, I use CCC to update my backup copy. Easier to control which drives get copied.

Likewise, I let Time Machine back up my boot drive to a Time Capsule but my media drive is backed up to another direct-attach drive using rsync two or three times a month, depending on activity.

A.

TFL167

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
UK
anyone please

thanks for all the replies. Im about to start my first back up but i have a few questions before I do.

1 Do I have to reformat the drive in a specific formate/file system when i use TM
2 I want to also use CCC but can I partition the hhd and use 500gb for CCC and 500gb for TM for example

Last edited:

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
anyone please

thanks for all the replies. Im about to start my first back up but i have a few questions before I do.

1 Do I have to reformat the drive in a specific formate/file system when i use TM
2 I want to also use CCC but can I partition the hhd and use 500gb for CCC and 500gb for TM for example

1 - Yes. It has to be Mac OS X extended - Journaled.
2 - You can but this is a very bad idea. If (when) the drive dies, you lose both backups. Drives are very cheap now. Just buy another.

TFL167

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
UK
Thanks will get 2nd drive.
I already have a 1TB and just ordered a 2TB. Which one would you use for TM and then CCC.

Do I leave the TM drive connected to the imac even when I shut down or do I disconnect it. If I left it connected will it interfere will the boot up the next day.

Also the second drive will be used with CCC but can I say every 3/4 weeks plug it in and do a clone then when it's finished unplug it and store it off site and would this be acceptable.

TFL167

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2014
UK
anyone your opions please I'm new to this :confused:

Thanks will get 2nd drive. I Have currently about 400gb on my h/drive.

I already have a 1TB spare and just ordered a 2TB. Which one would you use for TM and then CCC.

Do I leave the TM drive connected to the imac even when I shut down or do I disconnect it. If I left it connected will it interfere will the boot up the next day.

Also the second drive will be used with CCC but can I say every 3/4 weeks plug it in and do a CCC clone then when it's finished unplug it and store it off site and would this be acceptable.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You can leave the TM HDD connected. It won't (and should not) affect your computer's boot up. It's just a data HDD, you can't boot from it anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.