Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2014
I know there are several apps for both chrome and Firefox, but I use safari. Does anyone here have a favorite? I did a search and came across websites that you put the link on and it lets you download them that way, but is there a native way in safari to download the videos or good extensions?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Personally I use a cross-platform (Unix at least) tool called YouTube-dl. It's run via the Terminal though, so not for everyone. It works with more than just YouTube though and has many options.

For separate apps, I've only used YTD but it works well enough.

Personally not a big fan of using an extension for it, since it's not something I do that often, and the extension would permanently bloat up my browser then.

Soon, only extensions from either the Mac App Store or the Safari Extension Gallery will work, and seeing that Google doesn't really approve of downloading YT vids, I doubt such an extension will run on Safari in the future anyway

Lunder89

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Denmark
I use Dropzone for the task. Dropzone is a little inexpensive app (10 usd). Dropzone lives in the menubar, and here you can add some extensions, like a YouTube downloader. You can also do some simple automation for moving or copying files.

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2014
I ended up downloading 4K, its not too bad. Difficult to use for non youtube, but it works for youtube well.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There is a free, standalone app for Mac named ClipGrab.
Works quite well.

There used to be Safari extensions that did the job, but it seems that Apple (perhaps under pressure from google) has put up barriers to using them with recent versions of Safari and the OS...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.