Best way to email Quicktime Pro videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by karleaglemac, Jan 11, 2008.

1. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Recently I purchased QT Pro and unfortunately I haven't had the best experience using it.

Here is my problem. Say I find a trailer of a movie that I want to email to my brother. I save the video as a QT Pro Movie and then go to attach it in Gmail. Well the video turns out to be gargantuan and never attaches.

I guess I'm basically looking for an easy answer. What is the best way to send QT movies and how do you do it? It doesn't seem like it should be that hard.

Thanks for your help!

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Movie files are very big. Its understandable that Gmail might screw up when trying to email one. Your best bet would be to upload the file to an FTP server or even use something like YouSendIt or Pando for sending the file. I've never found large email attachments to be all that stable.

And is Quicktime Pro a format? I thought its just the license for Pro you need, and that .mov was the universal QT format. Perhaps you should use your QT Pro to reduce the resolution (file size) of the movie you're sending.

Also, if its a movie trailer why not just send a link to the movie website, or YouTube. They're bound to have whatever trailer it is on there. What trailer is it?

4. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Thanks :rolleyes: I'd rather use Gmail and not Mac Mail, though.

What exactly does YouSendIt do?

I was just using it as an example. There are other movies that I have tried to send in the past and the same thing keeps happening. It's actually a trailer for the Speed Racer movie coming out later on. He and I have always been a fan.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You need to resize the movie. That's one of the beauties of QT Pro. Do a save as... and away you go. And/or setup your Gmail in Apple Mail (POP3 account).

6. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Do I need to change the video to a certain file format?

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Same File Format, just reduce the quality or Resolution (i.e. from 640x480 to 320x200). The beauty of Save As.. is that you aren't affecting the original file, just a copy. So experiment a bit, you bought QT Pro, you might as well explore it!

EDIT: I stand corrected use File>Export , not Save As...