Best way to encode B&W DVDs?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by danny_w, Nov 28, 2008.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I usually use RipIt and Handbrake on its normal :apple:TV settings when converting my DVD collection (actually I also have a modified template for 4:3 output also). However, most of my collection is Black & White file noir movies, which tend to be very dark to begin with. Unfortunately the encoding process sometimes makes these movies even darker to the point of being unviewable, esp. if the dvd is a bad copy. Since there tend to be many bad copies of these old films, this can be a real problem. I haven't experimented very much with the settings, since encoding tends to take so very long per pass, but does anybody here have experience and know of tweaks that I can make to the process that will keep these movies from becoming so very dark after encoding? I assume the major problem is loss of detail during compression; in this case I really don't care about saving space, so that is not an issue for me.

2. mallbritton macrumors 6502

I don't have a suggestion for settings, since I don't deal with too many black and white films, but I can suggest that you don't have to rip the entire film to experiment with the settings to find what works best for you. Just rip one chapter. That will take much less time.

Regards,
    Michael

3. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I haven't really done much experimentation with it, but I've heard that bumping up the Constant Quality Rate percentage in HandBrake from the ATV preset default of 59% to 62% or so results in brighter encodes. At least that's what some folks were saying about the last snapshot. I'm not sure if the same holds true for the 0.9.3 release, but you can give it a try.

4. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.