best way to enroll IUP with Tmobile?

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
for the information I gathered now, if you are NOT yet an IUP user, you can get pre-approved for all carrier models except Tmobile. For Tmobile one will need to go to apple store or call apple to enroll, as early as pre-order day. which means I'll have to probably wait months before I can get new iPhone X with Tmobile.

does anyone know if I need carrier account info to enroll IUP with other carriers? and does the phone come unlocked?
or what's the best way to enroll IUP with Tmobile and get the iPhone X ASAP?

thanks.

Kahsheh

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
for the information I gathered now, if you are NOT yet an IUP user, you can get pre-approved for all carrier models except Tmobile. For Tmobile one will need to go to apple store or call apple to enroll, as early as pre-order day. which means I'll have to probably wait months before I can get new iPhone X with Tmobile.

does anyone know if I need carrier account info to enroll IUP with other carriers? and does the phone come unlocked?

thanks.
I can tell you you need carrier account for Verizon and AT&T. All IUP phones are unlocked.
Unfortunately the only option you have for IUP with Tmobile is via store since you are new. From my experience, you can't open a new Verizon line online via apple, only upgrades if that is something you are considering.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009

thanks.
If I were you, I'd sign up with one of the other carriers. You can cancel your account within 30 days without penalty. Then I'd get pre-approved and pre-order. After activation I'd switch carriers back to T-Mobile. Just make sure you get a GSM phone (ATT) so that you don't have to swap phones.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
If I were you, I'd sign up with one of the other carriers. You can cancel your account within 30 days without penalty. Then I'd get pre-approved and pre-order. After activation I'd switch carriers back to T-Mobile. Just make sure you get a GSM phone (ATT) so that you don't have to swap phones.
Hmmm
Do I need the old account info when I upgrade next year? And what if I want to switch carrier? Do I need to restart a new IUP?

knicksplayer

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
What about the loophole of pre-ordering an unlocked iPhone full price, going to store to get it returned and repurchased under IUP? Seems a lot of folks did that last year. Not sure if loophole was closed or not. Anyone do iPhone 8 switchover like this?

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
What about the loophole of pre-ordering an unlocked iPhone full price, going to store to get it returned and repurchased under IUP? Seems a lot of folks did that last year. Not sure if loophole was closed or not. Anyone do iPhone 8 switchover like this?
I was just in another thread about this, people does report as long as you have it un-open, you can return and rebuy the same device...
and I don't think 8 would be a good indicator for X, given how easy it is to order an 8

knicksplayer

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
I was just in another thread about this, people does report as long as you have it un-open, you can return and rebuy the same device...
and I don't think 8 would be a good indicator for X, given how easy it is to order an 8
Which iPhone would have to be purchased in order to do this? Unlocked?

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Probably, and the issue is unlocked Xs won’t be available at launch.
same-free version probably won't be available at launch, but ALL iPhones bought from apple, paid in full are unlocked. if you pay in full, apple simply won't send your iPhone info to carriers and carriers can't lock you. only difference is you get a carrier-specific SIM card inside the iPhone. you can just throw the sim away and use whatever you want.

knicksplayer

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
same-free version probably won't be available at launch, but ALL iPhones bought from apple, paid in full are unlocked. if you pay in full, apple simply won't send your iPhone info to carriers and carriers can't lock you. only difference is you get a carrier-specific SIM card inside the iPhone. you can just throw the sim away and use whatever you want.
Pretty sure buying a full priced T-Mobile/ATT phone gets you one model (GSM) and Sprint/Verizon another. So maybe unlocked but not all models are the same.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Pretty sure buying a full priced T-Mobile/ATT phone gets you one model (GSM) and Sprint/Verizon another. So maybe unlocked but not all models are the same.
Thats correct. GSM model does not support CDMA, however CMDA model (Verizon/Sprint) supports GSM. so if you are buying full price, get a Verizon model