Best way to expand Airport Extreme range?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by scrappledog, Apr 26, 2012.

1. scrappledog macrumors member

My internet cable comes in through an office above my garage. I bought an Airport Extreme in mid-fall 2011, hoping to get better range than my previous router, and I do, but still ... it's lacking in certain parts of the house. (Also, sidenote, wifi does not work well when the microwave is on!) Does anyone have tips on how to extend the range? I had a signal repeater downstairs long ago for the old setup ... do these even work?

2. Big Dave macrumors 6502

I use an Airport Express along with my Airport Extreme. The Express has an extend network feature. If I am roaming through the house with a MacBook or iPad etc, I don't notice any difference in signal or speed. I don't even realize which device I am routing through.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

the Best way is to run an ethernet cable to a second location, and place another wifi base station there (an airport express would be an OK choice), give it the same SSID and security settings, but a different channel. and turn off the "router functions" (like DHCP) of the router (if you go with the express, you want to put it in bridge mode on the internet settings page)
    this will make your network a bit more stable, as the connection back to your main base is wired, making it more robust. Also wirelessly extending will drop your speeds if you are connected to the remote base. The speed drop will probably not be noticeable on your internet connection, but for transferring files from one computer to another on your network, it will be.

you could also an airport express to wirelessly extend, just put it somewhere between the main router, and where you want to extend to. When doing this i recommend running an ethernet cable from the express to your computer to set it up, it will make the process much smoother, and then you can unplug once it's working.

wifi = 2.4 GHz, microwave oven =2.4 GHz, so it sounds like you have a poorly shielded microwave, it would be like you trying to talk to someone on the other side of the room, while someone stood in the middle and screamed at the top of their lungs.

4. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

I might just run a longer cable from the box to the airport extreme, and hang it on the ceiling in the hallway leading up to my office. Also, that is interesting to know about the microwave. It wasn't cheap, either -- a special over-the-range, venting model to fit into the hole left behind when the one originally installed by previous owners broke. Is it a problem with the model or this particular unit, do you think?

5. Gator Bob macrumors regular