Best Way to Export RAW?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by I AM THE MAN, Jun 13, 2011.

1. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Hey Everyone. I am just curious to know, if I do export a RAW to a JPEG file, whats the "best way?" The way I export a RAW to JPEG is by opening the RAW in Photoshop. When I am complete with the editing, I just fix the resolution to what I want and then save as a JPEG.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

2. SoFresh~SoClean macrumors newbie

SoFresh~SoClean

The method you described is how I would do it, but in CS5 (and maybe CS4 and lower, but I don't know), you there is an Export script somewhere in the file menu where you can export a whole batch of RAW images. Go to File>Scripts>Image Processor and choose a bunch of photos within a folder, set parameters for export / where it should export to, and voila! Hope this helps. Unfortunately this won't get around having to edit your photos, but at least once you're done editing, you can batch-convert the entire folder, although try to preserve the originals obviously.

SoFresh~SoClean

3. sim667 macrumors 65816

Aperture or lightroom is a nicer way of doing it.

Import images, do your adjustments, export them to jpg using file>export. Job done.

4. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

I honestly am not comfortable working with Aperture mainly because I am not used to the actual interface, etc. Would it matter if I exported the JPEG from Photoshop or Aperture? Thanks for your reply.

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Then it's time to get comfortable with the interface (or that of Lightroom if you prefer). Nowadays, most people don't use Photoshop anymore to export a bunch of photos, you do that in Aperture or Lightroom and there are good reasons for that.

So before you ask again: yes, it makes a huge difference in terms of time spent for the exports. Say, you shoot a series of photos, e. g. you use continuous shooting to capture 6 frames, all of which with similar composition. It's very easy to export all of those using consistent settings (white balance, crops, etc.). That's not possible with Photoshop.

6. bocomo macrumors 6502

you have Photoshop, so you also have Bridge

in Bridge, go to Tools>Photoshop>Image Processor

really easy way to do a whole batch (with resizing, if you need it)

7. slieu92 macrumors regular

i use aperture's previews. in settings you can set them to whatever resolution you want, then simply drag and drop the icons and you have jpegs.

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

I'd learn it, or at least try the demo....... It will probably speed your workflow up a lot.