Best way to finance a MacBookPro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cjrulli, Feb 8, 2010.

1. cjrulli macrumors regular

What is the best way to finance a MacBook? I was looking at the deferred interest for 12 months from Barclay's on Apples site. However, I have not calculated how much interest that would really be but is it a guarantee that they would give me enough credit limit to cover that MBP I would want?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

At least try for the Barclayscard. I've heard that they usually give high limits.

As soon as the new MBPs are announced, I'm going to apply for a Barclayscard.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

get a CC with 0% interest for 12+ months

many, many offers out there

4. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

However, there is no assurance that they will give me enough credit line to cover the MBP. Does the barclays card offer that?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

depends on your credit...

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope and more importantly I would not finance a MBP or any computer unless you intend to pay it off in < 6 months and it is 0% interest.

7. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

Where do you see that offer? I could easily pay it off in 6 or less months..

8. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Right, this all depends on your credit. Get pre-approved for one online and see, that is the only way to determine if your credit line will be large enough.

I mean, unless your credit is completely shot - $5,000 at 0% for 6 - 12 months is pretty easy to get.

9. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm only 19, but last time I checked my credit score was about a 712 on equifax I believe. What are some good cards that give me a $5,000 at 0%.

10. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Ehhh. Just save up the cash.

You don't have to buy a brand new one.

Check out some of the prices at Techrestore.com

Like $800 for a pre-unibody Macbook Pro.

Maybe think about joining a credit union if your dead set on using credit.

I just hope you can pay it off before it's outdated.

11. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Why dont you save up for it. Even if you get a credit card at 0% there are penalties for paying it off within the 12 months. You will still end up paying 19-27% more for the uMBP. It's worth saving for. Took me seven months to save up for it.

12. Quackers543 macrumors newbie

Suggested Credit Card

Try the Citi Forward. Has 0% for 6 months, and I got a $2,500 limit as it was my first credit card with little credit history, and has already been increases to much more for being "responsible". I got it to build my credit and this helps. Also, card has a rewards system, and you get about $100 back for signing up if you sign up for paperless statements and online payments. Also, if you pay on time 3 months in a row they drop your interest rate .25 percent up to 3 or 4 times. Not a bad card if you plan on keeping it for a good amount of time after your purchase.

13. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

I already own a 13.3 UMB, however, it's just not cutting my needs anymore. I'm using it to power a 24" ACD, and I want some more power.

Was looking to buy the 15" MBP when they get refreshed, and selling this in the mean time. I can easily pay this off in a matter of 6 months, as right now I'm in college but once summer hits I make a pretty decent amount being a lifeguard working full time.

I'm just trying to find a card that I know will give me the credit line, 0% rate, and what not.

With the Barclays deferred interest, how exactly do they calculate the interest? Anyone have any experience?

14. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

The best way to finance a MBP is to not finance a MBP. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

15. Jakron macrumors newbie

bestbuy will give you 18mo 0% as well, play your cards right or talk to the right managers and they will match apple's student discount and let you use 18mo 0% (they're not supposed to, but that doesnt stop them)

16. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Go to Best Buy and apply for a credit card. You might not get enough credit up first but after buying some things and paying the balance off right away they may increase your limit. They also usually have 12-24 month % financing on purchases over say $199 or so.

Just remember to always pay of your balance before that time expires, otherwise they charge you the full interest for the previous 12+ months.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes. This.

Won't you be in enough debt once college ends?

18. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Maybe you neeed a Mac Pro Desktop.

Keep the 13 as a portable

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is no "offer" but if you have good credit, the ability to repay your loan (aka employment), time on job, time in residence, etc then a card that offers you at least the first 6 months at 0% interest shouldn't be hard to find. Look at your bank first and if you don't have a bank them stop right there and do not try for a credit card. Those without bank accounts but with credit cards make me wonder.

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Save and buy it outright. It makes no sense to me to be paying for a machine in 6 months that is outdated due to the latest refresh.

21. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

HAHA, thanks for the advice champ.

Not at all, full tuition scholarship, and my housing is pretty much paid for.

I do appreciate all the life advice, but I would appreciate so more advice on some cards people have experience with.

22. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I am a firm believer in totally borrowing other people's money for free. If you are definitely going to pay it off within the 12 months, why not finance. It's a no-brainer. As for prepayment penalties, you never see that on any normal credit card these days.

23. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

When you need something with a little more juice at this current time, and don't have ALL the funds to pay for it, I think credit is a perfect idea as long as your smart, responsible, and know you can pay it. All three which I can do.

24. Surely Guest

Surely

Clearly people aren't willing to learn from the mistakes of the past (or from the reasons of our current economic environment).....

Enjoy your new toy. :)

25. NOTORIOUS187 macrumors member

Just trying to steer you in the right direction. I was in the Apple Store not too long ago when a couple walked in and tried to finance a Macbook Pro. I'm not going to say anything specific, but their last name was something like Sanchez or Hernandez. Anyways, they wanted to get a 15" MBP and wanted Microsoft Office as well. Well, they filled out the Credit Application and only qualified for $750. Needless to say, they walked right out of the store. This is a perfect example of why you should not buy what you cannot afford. They probably made some poor decisions early on in life and are suffering for it today.