Best way to format previously used SSD?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jbg232, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I am going to format a formerly loved OWC 3G Mercury SSD that is in my 2008 Macbook Aluminum for resetting the computer to defaults for possible resale or personal use. What is the best way to format the SSD to maintain it's performance? Should I do quick erase or a full format or something else?

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Build a USB bootable copy of OS X installer (disk maker x is good for this).

Boot from it, run disk utility and do a standard format, a more secure one if you really feel you need to (writing zeroes should be greyed out...if it's not DO NOT USE IT).

Job done.

3. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

So a full "zero-out" is bad for the SSD?

4. fdw777 macrumors newbie

Zero away

It's quite alright to zero out the SSD........I've don it on two SSD's several times with NO problem.

5. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

A full zero-out will cause additional wear on the cells. Potentially worse, the SSD controller may now think that every block is occupied, and write performance could suffer for a while.

To restore the SSD to a clean factory state, you need to use something like Parted Magic to specifically issue an ATA secure erase command. Google should point you to a howto for this.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

It does not work, if the SSD controller (SandForce) compresses the data.

----------

Not much.