Best way to future proof my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MauerFan, Jun 22, 2012.

1. MauerFan macrumors regular

I'm picking up a 15" non-retina MBP in the coming weeks and am wondering how I should future proof it. I'm not very tech savvy so I probably wouldn't be able to add things myself, unless I found someone to do it for me. I would assume the 8 GB of RAM is a given. Let's say my budget is $2k (I get a student discount as well).

2. ejisfun macrumors regular

I bought the base retina with 16GB ram for $2180 with student discount, I figure it should last at least 4 years.

3. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

$1799 base non-retina 15"
    Buy 16GB of RAM from a place other than Apple.
    *optional* buy Faster HDD/SSD

Should come in around $2000

4. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

What exactly are your goals with the computer?

There is no way to future proof a computer in that apple WILL release new tech that WILL do things that yours won't, but if it does everything you want it to now, great.

Your standard SSD/RAM upgrades are about all you can do, but look at those as enhancements to your computer, not future proofers. You'll be much happier that way.

5. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Guaranteed Future-Proof:

Purchase the high-end 15" MBP every year.

6. eron macrumors 6502

7. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

That doesn't future-proof anything.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't future proof any computer. The future will arrive eventually, no matter what you do, bringing with it the eventual obsolescence of your computer. Just use it and enjoy it while it lasts! :)

9. jmdMac macrumors regular

Honestly there is no such thing as "future proofing," even more so when it comes to mac laptops.

What you need to look at is how long you want/need this laptop to last?
    Unless you are actually using the laptop for demanding programs (video editing, 3d design, etc) then the base non-retina MBP will suffice for years.
    Just make sure to equip it with a large enough hard drive and enough RAM (8+) and you will be fine.

I am writing this on my 2010 base MBP with 4gb RAM, and have used it through college running both engineering 3d design and simulation programs. I plan to sell this either this year or the next one and buy a retina model to enhance photo editing, but otherwise I can see it lasting much longer.

They only reason I could see yourself getting a non-retina base model would be if you really wanted the retina screen (which I'll admit does look very nice).
    If you want to increase the RAM or hard drive I really recommend buying 3rd party and installing yourself, just watch a youtube video it's very simple.

Hope that helps, good luck.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You have to identify what is likely to go out of spec fastest when considering the applications you will most likely run on it. Usually it's ram or gpu when considering a laptop, but it depends on your uses, both applications used and how you use them.

11. eron macrumors 6502

Well, Applecare future proofed my 2008 MBP. I got it replaced with a 2011 MBP for free. :cool: