Best way to get 2 monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by solidsponge, Sep 17, 2013.

1. solidsponge macrumors newbie

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

3. jonnykk macrumors newbie

If you have a ATI 5770 in it that is meant for an Apple, it should have (2) Mini DisplayPort outputs as well as the DVI. There are Mini DisplayPort > "X" adapters available depending on what connections your other monitor(s) have.

Adapter Examples:

Mini DisplayPort > HDMI
    Mini DisplayPort > DisplayPort
    Mini DisplayPort > DVI

If your other display is older and doesn't have a HDMI or DisplayPort connections, then going with a Mini DisplayPort > DVI may be your best bet.

4. solidsponge, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

solidsponge thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah brilliant it does have those! Excellent, I will try and get one of those. Im glad I asked as I thought they were thunderbolt ones haha. Thats great, I will go for mdp > dvi then.

(to other poster, cant get work to buy new card unfortunately nor a new mac haha)

Forgot to say, thanks :)

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

From a video standpoint, Thunderbolt and MDP are the same and the adapters are compatible. Just FYI.

6. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Almost the same! You can't connect a Thunderbolt monitor to an MDP card. :rolleyes:

I only mention this because every now and then someone thinks they can connect their Mac Pro to a Thunderbolt ACD but there is no way to do this, even with adapters.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Good additional point. In the context of this thread looking at adapters to hook monitors up to MDP/Thunderbolt, they are the same.