Best way to get 27" on a plane

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PaulKemp, Feb 26, 2012.

1. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Hi guys. Im thinking of getting a 27" in the States, but im not sure how I can get it back to Europe. Would it be safe to check it in on the plane and send it in the original box? What do you think? I mean, when its shipped out from the apple store, its shipped in that very box. Another alternative is to get a huge bag that can fit the original box in it. And then check it in on the plane.

2. camardelle macrumors 6502

Carefully?

Why don't you just get one where you live, or are you taking it for a trip of some type? Maybe ordering one online would be substantially easier.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Wouldn't you get hit with import duty when you got back home?

And would you risk your computer becoming a lost bag? Also, Idon't forget that the airline would probably charge you for an oversize bag and possibly for an extra bag.

How much would you really be saving? Oh and while I know it's only a few dollars, you'd need a new power cord or adapter.

4. ACDeag macrumors regular

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I don't think any customs official is going to believe you took your 27" iMac on holiday with you. Especially as it's in the box it will be clear you bought it in the states. Best to buy back in europe as you will be paying import duty on that, and I don't know what the consequences of not declaring it are.

6. woodbine macrumors regular

woodbine

I have thought of doing similar thing, but with 27" display. I mean if I am going to US for other reason, then picking up a screen or imac or laptop, makes sense.

Another thing, there are more bargains on the refurb section than in the UK.

For Customs, I'd have to take a chance. But one way round would be to have it wrapped in that cling-wrap stuff at the airport. Then it is effectively disguised and given added protection.

7. PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, the reason is that i save 1250$ on a 3.4 ghz 27" with ssd refurb compared to a new one in Norway. Even with paying customs, i still save about 650$. OK ill have to buy a cord and a keyboard, but that doesnt really matter when the price difference is so big.

Aslo the refurb box is just a brown box, it doesnt really say Apple on the front. I was asking if you think it would damage the mac itself just sending it on a plane in the original box its shipped in.

8. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I believe refurb is online only, so you'll need a US shipping address.

If that's the case, I'd probably courier it home rather than try and lug it on a plane, paying excess baggage fees etc.

9. GeekGuys macrumors regular

I understand the attraction as I considered it to uk from USA. Customs aside (if you ship in a brown box then you might get away with it) the thing that put me off most was damage in transit and Apple don't provide world wide warranty on desktops. Therefore you will have to return to US for any issues you might find. I am not sure Apple Care will be possible either.

The savings against buying separate warranty and possible customs duty was not worth the hassle. I'd go for a refurb from Apple store.

10. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Hi
    I checked my Mac Pro in as luggage from Svolvær to Oslo. That went well.
    It was just in it´s original box. Nothing else.
    I would be a bit more worried from the states though

11. Dizzler macrumors regular

What about the power supply? Isn't there a difference between US and UK?

12. GeekGuys macrumors regular

Power is fine. Need a UK plug but no big deal. Keyboard is fine with the exception of the £ and. $ keys but you get used to it.

I have bought 2 laptops back from US and never had any issues but then laptops are covered by worldwide warranty!

13. Bear macrumors G3

It looks like the system would be going to Norway. But that doesn't matter, the power supply in the iMac is universal.

As US keyboard would be fine in the UK, but maybe not in Norway. That would need a different keyboard.

14. PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Power cord is universal and the us apple store actually sells the norwegian keyboard as well. The issue here was the 'get it on the plane' question. I think I'll call a supplier here and ask for the warranty. If its covered I might just take the plunge