best way to get a new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tylerww7, Feb 8, 2008.

1. tylerww7 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

ok I recently dropped my iPhone and it landed wight above the ring or vibrate switch and now it won't vibrate I called apple a they said of it has a dent they prolly won't repair it. My question is what should I tell apple so that I can get a new iPhone. The only defects on my iPhone Are that it has dust under the home button and that it tells me this device doesn't work with the iPhone when I plug it into the dock

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

so...basically you need a good story so that they will replace it free of charge for you?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hmm this is a toughie but let's see what we can come up with.

You dropped your phone and there is a dent in the top "wight" corner preventing it from vibrating. The only defect is a piece of dust under the home button right? Oh and the fact that when you dock it it says the dock isn't for the device. Baring that your dock is the iPhone dock and your cable is the cable that came from the iPhone I would say that is a defect. But since you didn't report it you may not be able to use that as the excuse. Here's what I think you should do.

Walk into an Apple retail store and show them the phone. Before you do that ensure you haven't any case on it because it'll ruin the overall effect. Bring a stick of unsalted, room temperature butter with you. I happen to be fond of the Land-O-Lakes brand, but you can pretty much use any store brand. Just be sure it's unsalted. Often it's good for baking but since your body naturally produces a salty-like taste you'd want to be certain to not add additional salt. Also, it's bad for cholesterol and it's harder to explain high cholesterol. Just before entering the store rub that stick of butter all over your palms. Walk into the store and put the phone down on the counter and show them the dent. Tell them you have butter hands and you're sorry but the slick phone coupled with the unsalted room temperature butter caused the phone to slip from your grip. Tell them the phone shouldn't be so slick and they should warrant against this because not everyone has the ability to hang onto their stuff. See if that works.

The worse that will happen is you'll have butter on your hands. To fix this I say walk over to the nearest food court or super market, get some bread, butter it and have a snack.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

4. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

jessica-- that is a good one-- thanks for the laugh!!!:p

5. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Or, you could follow Jessica's advice, slick up the phone and when you hand it to the genius make sure he/she drops it so that you can say *they* made the dent and that the only problem you wanted to talk to them about was the dust.

Huh? Huh?

See, then it's *their* fault.

Gold. That's gold.

6. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

lol that was good,, why don't you just walk into the Apple store and complain about the non-syncing and not tell them about the dent?, they ll probably send it out for repair and it'll come back all fixed.

7. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

:D lmao i think this just made my day

8. tylerww7 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

ha thats pretty good but seriously there isn't an apple store in my state(LA) so should I tell then that it started to vibrate again buy it gives the dock error and im anal about the dust

9. Neuroguy macrumors member

This is an easy one...

Go into the apple store. If the damage is visible, put a case on the phone. Make sure the case has an opening for the sync cable.

Tell them: It doesn't get recognized when I try to sync it.

They will try it. They will see it doesn't work.

They will probably replace the phone, giving little thought to it. If they notice the dent, tell them "oh, that is from long ago, the phone works fine, it just won't sync."

If the phone is otherwise functional, I would think this would warrant a new phone.

Just my $0.02

Eric

10. tylerww7 thread starter macrumors member

like I said there aren't any apple stores for a few 100miles. What should I tell apple customer service

11. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

tell them about the dust and the non-syncing, don t even mention the dent or the vibration...if they repair it they may repair the vibration part if not then at least you ll have a non vib iphone that syncs and has no dust, can't really ask for much more.. you did drop it.

12. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Don't tell them about the dent. Just tell them about the obvious faults.

But before you do any of this, ask yourself if the dent is responsible for any of the problems you're having. and if you decide that it is, then you should suck it up as the dent is not Apple's fault but your own.

Sounds like you're dealing with a guilty conscience already.

13. tylerww7 thread starter macrumors member

thanks soo much guys ill so what I can and post back my results btw would apple have logged in their system thatch called and reported the dent last night

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes butter they would have if you gave them any identifying information.

Honestly though, are you seriously telling us that you could not come up with a solution yourself? I'm just curious because it is my opinion that the solution was quite simple. From other threads on the topic of warranty work if there is something else wrong when they go to fix the warranted issue they will give you a quote and nearly force your hand in paying to fix the dent. They could even say it does not sync because of the dent. You cannot prove or disprove their case right? Sure it did not sync before the drop, but they don't know. Clearly people lie. ;)

15. tylerww7 thread starter macrumors member

YAY!!! my phone is now vibrating, i don't know how but it just started working 30 minutes ago. my question is should i still call apple and tell them about my quiet speaker in speaker phone and dust underneath the home button

BUMP
    any advice on what to tell apple. Either the dust under the home button, quite speaker in speaker phone, or the weird pop up when i plug it into the dock?

16. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

what about all of them, they all sound like malfunctions to me, thne i dunno how picky you are, they may just be normal (quiet speaker) but if you odn t think it is then tell them that.

17. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

18. tylerww7 thread starter macrumors member

Its technically not under the home button its just under the screen surrounding the home button