Best way to get a SSL certificate?

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
My LAN vendor is telling me that I need to get a SSL certificate to securely run OWA (Outlook Web Access). Does anyone have any advice on how to go about doing this in a cost-effective manner?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
It's something that's not really cheap to do. A company I worked for looked in to getting a secure certificate to digitially sign our drawings that we sent out. VeriSign (www.verisign.com) sells security certificates for 400-1800 USD. A web search might reveal some more cost effective methods. Good Luck, though.

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
craigdawg said:
My LAN vendor is telling me that I need to get a SSL certificate to securely run OWA (Outlook Web Access). Does anyone have any advice on how to go about doing this in a cost-effective manner?

You can run OWA without SSL, more secure with it however. SSL does sometimes slow it down a bit, depends on connections and server hardware.

You can get free test certificates from Verisign or Thawte. Thawte is a division of Verisign and they were who I used for my OWA cert, the reason is because the cert itself seemed to authenticate quicker then the Verisign one.

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
If it doesn't need to be from Verisign, you can make one yourself for free with OpenSSL. To get started, you can check out this link, or you can find plenty of others if you google for something like "openssl create certificate".

hmmfe

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
craigdawg said:

Two ways:

1. Create your own certificate using MS Certificate services. This is not the best approach since it is not a "trusted" certificate but is free.

2. Purchase an SSL certificate online. They generally run between $30.00 and $150.00 depending on where you get them.

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
If you actually want real security and trusted business verification, I like http://www.geotrust.com because they own the root signing certificate. Their prices are not dirt cheap but affordable. If it's for business, I'd use GeoTrust. If it's for personal use, I just sign it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.