Best way to get audio to TV from Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chosenwolf, Jan 1, 2008.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Hey Guys,

What is the best method to getting audio to my TV from my Mac Mini? My TV has 2 HDMI ports. So far, the only thing I can think of is a minijack (headphone audio connection on mini) to stereo RCA cables. Is there a minijack or adapter to HDMI?

How is it being done with the Apple TV?

Thanks!
    :D

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Go with a headphone to rca (red and white) cables. Only other way is headphone or optical, but with the headphone odds are the connection is on the front and with optical you won't gain anything because the tv speakers are stereo.

However if you have a surround sound system, use the digital connection to the receiver so you can use 5.1.

Right now I use a dvi to HDMI, but you lose the sound as it was from dvi. You have to use a second connection for sound.

3. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Thanks, I was planning on doing the Headphone to RCA. I just took a look at the back of the Apple TV unit and it looks like there are 2 RCA (red/white) audio connections built in. I take it there is no other way to get sound out of the mac mini besides the 2 minijack audio ports?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    The ATV has an optical-out port, just like your Mini does. What audio inputs, besides R&L RCA, does your TV have?

5. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Only R&L RCA, unless you count HDMI :cool:

I do have a Toslink Digital Audio out on the TV, but that won't do any good in this situation.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Sounds like you need a new 5.1 sound system to go with your TV. :)

7. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I've got a 5.1 surround sound system, but all the inputs are used up =(

My TV has a built in speaker and that's all I really need for audio from my mac mini. The TV itself has 2 available RCA inputs so I might just go that route. =)

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

That's a bummer.

9. pbooth11 macrumors newbie

please help!! :(

hi all,

i have got an adapter to connect my macmini to my tv so i can get sound, but it doesn't seem to b working. My adapter goes in the headphone port and has a yellow and white plug in which goes into my tv, but once its all connected i still have no sound :( can anyone help???

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You need to clarify what this cable is. What types of connectors are on each end?

11. millap macrumors regular

I'd be suspicious of the Yellow connector, as this colour is generally used for composite video. It's possible that you have the wrong type of lead. RCA analog jacks are normally Black+Red or White+Red (Red=Right).

12. pbooth11 macrumors newbie

oops

oops ye sorry, i have the red and white cables. I dont understand where im going wrong. I have got the DVI cable to connect my macmini to tv, i have to go onto PC-INPUT format on my tv to receive the mac signal, could this be why? once i connect the red and white cables to the tv then connect the other end to the headphone port in the macmini i get no sound at all?!?!?!

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you connect headphones to your Mac's audio port, do you get sound? If so, then the problem is (1) a bad cable or (2) an issue with your TV's audio input.

14. pbooth11 macrumors newbie

yes if i connect headphones i get sound, it cant be my tv because when i plug my playstation in through the same ports i get sound, so therefore it must be the wires, are my assumptions right? if so what lead would you reccomend me getting?

15. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Depending on your TV, some inputs have dual duties. for example, one input might take RCA video or sVideo plus R/L RCA audio. Another example might be DVI or HDMI + RCA R/L audio. Manufacturers do this for flexibility when connecting different inputs. When you have this kind of setup, you have to go into the settings for the TV and tell that particular input to use audio over the HDMI feed or use audio over the RCA (composite) feed.

You might need to check if your TV handles or arranges inputs this way.

16. pbooth11 macrumors newbie

how do i know if my tv does this??

im really confused i just want to get sound from my minimac to tv, but i just dont seem to be able to get this :(

17. krye macrumors 68000

krye

If you had a TiVo, you could just network to it. That's nice.