Best way to get DVD to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbadalucco, Jan 27, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Curious the best way/software to get a DVD transferred to an iPhone?

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

+1

3. rc51aaron macrumors member

4. trh74 macrumors newbie

5. Cask Guest

Handbrake - Universal Apple profile, looks almost as good as stuff purchased from the iTunes store, when output to a TV.

6. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I've downloaded and tried to use Handbrake, and every time I click the start button it brings up the black DOS screen and then nothing happens. Does anyone know what would cause this? I am trying to convert a video file I already have on my CPU, not a DVD.

7. Cask Guest

Are you running Windows Vista?? Sometimes on my Vista machine I got that problem, it was solved by clicking with the left button over the Handbrake icon and selecting "Run As Administrator". After doing that, it would allow me to do everything normally.

8. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I run Windows Vista I have used Handbrake to Encode about 175 movies followed by MetaX to Tag them. I also use DVD Decrypter to copy and decrypt to my hard drive before using Handbrake.

I have never seen your problem. However, I do have my machine set with UAC (User Access Control) OFF.

9. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Since my family has
    3 iPod Nano's
    1 iPod Touch 1G
    1 iPod Touch 2G
    1 iPhone 3G

I have many different resolutions to pick from so I've used CUCUSOFT that allows me to pick from many many different outputs. So far, so good. But its not free.
    However in my case, it was worth it.

10. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I'm on a PC but it's not Vista, it's XP. I'll try the admin setting but I think I already tried that. Should it be as easy as it sounds? I see other posts where someone uses 3 programs, I don't have time for all that.

11. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I prefer Videora. I think it's a lot more user friendly.

12. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Is it wallet friendly? Like....free.

13. steverunner macrumors newbie

Yes

14. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Just an update, since so many times in these message boards people ask for help, then when they run across a solution that works they never inform the board. So when people have the same problem they don't know how to fix it.

Handbrake worked once I did the RUN AS Administrator. I took the .avi file I had downloaded and successfully added it to my phone.

Now I want to know about DVDs that I own. DO I just put it in and run Handbrake and it'll work?

15. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

16. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I used Handbrake, I did not know there was a Handbrake Lite. The other programs I had used, would either produce a lesser quality video or the audio would be out of sync (due to my 3 year old computer I assume). But Handbrake worked perfectly, just took longer than expected.

17. Robbadore64 macrumors regular

Can't speak for PC, but on a mac, yes, it's that easy (well MOST DVDs, some can be finicky but you can always find a "workaround" posted on these boards)
    On a Mac, just need to have VLC installed which handles the copy protection.

Yeah, this is probably no help at all to you, sorry, but the general answer to your question is YES.

18. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I have VLC, and I'm gonna try it tonight, but thanks for the help.

19. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Tried to convert a DVD and the process went seemingly well. Except the video is all distorted. The audio is fine but the video has green,pink,and blue distortion all on it. Any suggestions?

20. rayward macrumors 65816

There's two versions of Handbrake, one with a GUI and one with a Command Line interface. Are you sure you didn't download the CL version? That might explain it.

Also, I use Handbrake to rip DVDs on a Mac. As others have said, it's pretty good. There's presets for creating files optimised for various devices, including the iPhone. I use the iPhone legacy preset and make sure to check the 2-Pass and Turbo First Pass options. To be honest, I don't know if it makes any difference to do this or to use the new iPhone preset (which doesn't have the 2-Pass option), but it's what I've always used so I'm sticking with it.

Simply rip the movie with Handbrake, then drag the completed file to iTunes and it dumps it in the movies directory. Add an image of the cover to the artwork section and you're good to go. A 2-hour movie ripped this way ends up being ~1GB. FWIW, I have an Apple TV and, while it's not HD or anything, a movie ripped for an iPhone as above looks pretty good on the big screen too.

21. rc51aaron macrumors member

google XviD4PSP and (download the 5.036 full public version)

Its free you wont be disapointed, Spend a few minutes learning it..

22. rayward macrumors 65816

Lay off the bong? ;)

23. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I'll have more time to try some different things this weekend. A buddy at work mentioned if the DVD was scratched that could make the picture distorted. Either way I'll try a couple of DVDs this weekend. I can keep the post updated.....

Easy to do, being on probation and all....:(