best way to get HD video to hdtv

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by skiwhitman, May 5, 2008.

1. skiwhitman macrumors member

Hello,
    I just got a Canon HG10 and would like to view the edited movies on my HDTV. How do I do this? If I export to a DVD, won't that downgrade the quality? Simply plugging the camcorder into the HDTV is fine, but I would like to edit them first. Other options I guess are exporting to AppleTV, but I would like to find another way. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!!!

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Right now, there is no really easy way to do that, especially considering that you have a hard disk based camera...

1. Export your finished project to a Quicktime file in 720p or 1080i and transfer it to an Apple TV for playback.

2. Make a Blu-ray disc (which you need a BD burner and a playback device to do). You can make basic Blu-ray discs in Toast 8 or above. For actual Blu-ray authoring with menus and such, I'm pretty sure that Encore is the only game in town for the Mac.

3. rmtoberman macrumors newbie

Another way if you have Bootcamp installed and pick up one of those discontinued Toshiba HD DVD players for cheap (if they are still around) you can then use Ulead DVD Movie factory and take a standard DVD-R and burn a 1080p movie. You can get about 20 minutes of High Definition content on a standard HD DVD. I have done this with footage from my Canon HV10 and it looks excellent. I think you can do something similar with Blu-Ray, but I am not sure.

4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Toast 8 on the Mac is probably the most cost effective way ATM. You can burn your HD movies to standard DVD and then play them back on a BluRay/HD-DVD player.

5. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I believe Toast 9 can do HD to DVD or Bluray disk.

6. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

export back to camera?

Can you export it back to the camera after doing your editing on the computer? You'd have to back up the original unedited video somewhere else if you wanted to keep it of course, but it'd be full quality. I thought I remember seeing an "export to camera" choice in iMovie. It's been a little while though and that iMovie HD.

7. bclayton88 macrumors newbie

yeah you can export back to the camera and just plug the camera in using hdmi or component cables..oh and if you are using fcp the option is called author to tape.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Toast 9 seems to be the best way right now, however, there are bugs. You'll need to read up on the forums because not all BD players support AVCHD-DVD discs.

The workflow would be to import the AVCHD footage to iMovie'08. Do your edits and cuts. Use Toast 9 to author an AVCHD disc and burn to a DVD5/9 blank. Play the disc on your BluRay player.

I'm assuming you already have a Mac with a DVD burner. All you need is a BD player (or PS3). Alternatively, you could buy an HD-DVD player for really cheap these days, but no new movies are going to be released for it.

The aTV can't play 1080i files. You'll have to export to 1280x720/24p or 960x540/30p for playback on the aTV.

ft

9. skiwhitman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that information. Yes, I do have a 1st generation intel imac with the DVD burner. I wasn't aware that it could burn high definition DVDs, though. So, if I create my movie, use Toast to author an AVCHD disk, then burn it to a DVD 5 or 9, it can then play on a BluRay or HD-DVD player? What does it mean to "author an AVCHD disc"? Finally, I have Toast 8 but haven't used it. From what I'm hearing, it seems like that won't work.

Thanks again so much for your assistance with this!

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

An AVCHD disc is any disc that is burned with AVCHD footage. When I say to use Toast 9 to author an AVCHD disc, I'm saying that Toast 9 can put together a disc that will play in a BluRay player (not all of them, though and the PS3 has some issues). You can use DVD5/9 or a BD-R disc .. but of course you'll fit more on a BD-R.

Toast 8 cannot do this. You can upgrade to Toast 9 for only $60, but make sure you get the BluRay/HD-DVD plug-in, otherwise, you won't be able to do this. Check the Roxio forums for more info ... because from what I'm reading, some people are having problems with certain players and camcorders.

ft