Best way to get internet explorer on mac?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by emiljan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. emiljan macrumors 6502

emiljan

I started a new class where we r using dreamweaver and learning about the whole web design process and the teacher wants us to make sure our websites are working in internet explorer 8, safari and firefox.

Whats the best way to run internet explorer on mac? I only need to run version 8 since that's the only version installed on our class computers.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

There isn't a current version of it available to run on mac, so you will have to run windows of some sort, or use a different machine

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

He's right the last version I believe that was for Mac was 6 if I am right and it was designed for PPC, I would just use some sort of Virtualization software to run Windows for it, or install a bootcamp partition, because the later versions are Windows only now.

5. emiljan thread starter macrumors 6502

emiljan

I have a copy of parallels desktop 5 running linux at the moment. So i guess i could use that but i don't have a retail copy of windows 7 only an upgrade disc so is there a way to use that or does it have to be retail?

For anyone who's running windows 7 under Parallels, hows the performance and how hard is it to setup sharing between mac and the windows vm?

I'm trying to make it as seamless as possible so i can work using dreamweaver and internet explorer without any major performance hits or problems.

6. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Google IE4OSX its a wine installation of IE6, IE7, and IE8.

7. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

You might also be able to get by with a screen-capture service that shows what a given URL looks like in IE. Adobe offers Browser Lab, and there are free ones online like NetRenderer

(the disadvantage to such services are that you can't experience interactivity such as rollover effects, and some won't show you more than 800x600 pixels of your page)

8. john1620b macrumors member

Unfortunately, IE7 and IE8 don't work properly under IE4OSX (now titled WineBottler). If you're doing web design work, virtualization or getting a Windows machine are really the only options.

9. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Run Parallels or VM and use Windows through there or get a cheap PC to test.
    You can use this site: http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/ but it only renders one page at a time and it's a screenshot of how it would look. Handy if you need a quick view but it's not very efficient.

10. emiljan thread starter macrumors 6502

emiljan

I just finished setting up Parallels with Windows 7 Pro, and i must say it runs pretty well. The coherence mode is perfect for what i need to do.

I have a few more questions if you all don't mind!

1. How can i install older versions of internet explorer on windows 7? If im going to be making any sort of semi-decent websites i need to make sure they work with well with internet explorer 7 and 8.

2. How do i setup sharing between the vm and osx? My plan is to make one main folder and put each website inside their own individual folder. How do i setup sharing so only the main folder shows up in windows? I don't want to share my osx home directory with the windows vm because of the security risk it may cause.

Thank you for all your help!

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

There's an IE7 standalone that you can use. I believe it's what I use in my VM.

As for sharing, are you just wanting to share in general, or web files? For myself, I run MAMP and then from the VM I can connect to it without needing to transfer any files into the VM. Parallels should have some tools for sharing folders I believe. I use VirtualBox personally.