Best way to get iPhone 6 when I have iPhone 5s now?

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
I have a backup iPhone 4 to use so:
-Selling iPhone 5s 32gb the end of August (hopefully get around $600)
-Use iPhone 4 until the 6 comes out

Question is:
1) pay for retail iPhone 6
Or
2) pay eft and get iPhone 6 with new 2 year contract

What option is better? Any other solid strategies?

Jaguarr40

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
Sarasota, Florida

Question is:
Or

There really are no strategies to it. It is really what you are comfortable with especially if you think you will get that much for your 5S, you can then use it to get the 6. It's really all up to you.

Smith2000

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Depends on the ETF

Call in and see what the ETF would be the day before preorder. Be sure to add the upgrade fee that will come when you get the new phone when you're figuring the cost.

If you do the ETF be sure to check that make sure your eligibility reset so you'll actually be able to do the preorder in time. You might want to do the ETF two days before just to make sure there's time to make sure you're upgrade eligible in time.

Keep in mind we don't know the month the phone will come out yet. I'd plan for December just so you don't get your hopes too high.

Question is:
Or

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
I am just pre ordering the iPhpne when it becomes available and then just wait until it comes to my doorsteps. Then selling my unlocked iPhone 5s
Are you paying full retail?

Call in and see what the ETF would be the day before preorder. Be sure to add the upgrade fee that will come when you get the new phone when you're figuring the cost.

If you do the ETF be sure to check that make sure your eligibility reset so you'll actually be able to do the preorder in time. You might want to do the ETF two days before just to make sure there's time to make sure you're upgrade eligible in time.

Keep in mind we don't know the month the phone will come out yet. I'd plan for December just so you don't get your hopes too high.
My question is, if I pay ETF do I lose my phone number?

Smith2000

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Probably not worth ETF

If you just pay the ETF and go month-to-month you won't lose your phone number.

I have a feeling that ETF+Upgrade, plus cost of the phone will be very close to the cost of the full priced phone.

You'll most likely be best off buying iPhone 6 at full price and saving your upgrade for next year.

Are you paying full retail?

My question is, if I pay ETF do I lose my phone number?

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.

Question is:
Or

There's no way anyone is paying around $600 for a used iPhone 5s

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
If you just pay the ETF and go month-to-month you won't lose your phone number.

I have a feeling that ETF+Upgrade, plus cost of the phone will be very close to the cost of the full priced phone.

You'll most likely be best off buying iPhone 6 at full price and saving your upgrade for next year.
You might be right on that one, how much was the iPhone 5s at full price during launch?

In September:
My ETF should be $230
New 32GB on contract $300
Upgrade fee $30
Even if I got $500 for iPhone 5s, I'd have to pay $60 plus tax (i think)

Retail estimate would be $750 for 32gb?

There's no way anyone is paying around $600 for a used iPhone 5s
I've seen plenty on eBay sell for around $600 (I'm aware I'd lose 12% to paypal and eBay fees)

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
You might be right on that one, how much was the iPhone 5s at full price during launch?

In September:
My ETF should be $230
Upgrade fee $30

Retail estimate would be $750 for 32gb?
Is it unlocked? Only way your coming close to that is if it's unlocked and even so the percentage of iPhones going for 600+ is extremely low

I've seen plenty on eBay sell for around $600 (I'm aware I'd lose 12% to paypal and eBay fees)
Is it unlocked? The only way your getting close to that is if it's unlocked. And even so the percentage of iPhones going for 600+ is slim

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2014
with all due respect, nobody is going to buy a 5s for 600 anytime near the release of the 6, just being honest...youre looking for a free iphone6 lol...just trade in 1 of the phones i say

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
Is it unlocked? The only way your getting close to that is if it's unlocked. And even so the percentage of iPhones going for 600+ is slim
Aren't all the Verizon iPhone 5s unlocked? I thought that is what I read

----------

with all due respect, nobody is going to buy a 5s for 600 anytime near the release of the 6, just being honest...youre looking for a free iphone6 lol...just trade in 1 of the phones i say
I was going to sell the iPhone 5s before the announcement, even if I get closer to $500, it would work

In September:
My ETF should be $230
Upgrade fee $30

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
VA
I'm in the same situation,
But I'm going to sell my Verizon 5s 32g the same week of the keynote announcement.

Then just add a line to my account, to get the 6 cheaper.

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
Sounds like someone needs to save his money and keep his 5S. Are you saying you have no savings or money put away incase something happens to you?

:confused:
I'm doing fine, thank you for asking. I was just throwing an idea out there, whether it makes sense or not is a different story ;)

I'm just wondering if there is a "prime" time to sell the 5s and use the 4 for the least amount of time possible and get a 6 for cheaper.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
VA
Are you canceling your current line?
Nope not canceling my first line and have to pay that ETF. I'll add a new line, keep both and change plan to a family plan to give me more data since both lines are mine. By the time the 6S comes out, that first line will be elgible to upgrade.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Once iphone 6 is out you will be lucky to get $350. The market is going to be flooded with them. Unlocked or not is not a huge benefit since you can get the iphone on all four major carriers.

shawndc1

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2014
Aren't all the Verizon iPhone 5s unlocked? I thought that is what I read

----------

I was going to sell the iPhone 5s before the announcement, even if I get closer to $500, it would work

In September:
My ETF should be $230
Upgrade fee $30
5 is just to deep, 3 is more realistic but im rooting for u

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Once iphone 6 is out you will be lucky to get $350. The market is going to be flooded with them. Unlocked or not is not a huge benefit since you can get the iphone on all four major carriers.
$350? Doubt that. I sold my used 5 which was LOCKED to AT&T and still sold it for around $450 (Craigslist).

At $350, I'd keep it.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
1. buy iPhone 6
2. sell iPhone 5s
3. use profit from 5s to reduce debt of iPhone 6 to about how much it would be to upgrade.

I do this and usually only end up paying 300-350 for the newer iPhone.

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
1. buy iPhone 6
2. sell iPhone 5s
3. use profit from 5s to reduce debt of iPhone 6 to about how much it would be to upgrade.

I do this and usually only end up paying 300-350 for the newer iPhone.
How much do you normally pay for a retail iPhone? Is it the same price as right now? Estimate 16gb $650 and 32gb $750

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
is the same for every generations, i dont get why people need to ask the same question every year. just do wat u did b4 for iphone 5, 4, 3s