Best way to get Metro maps on iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by 2ms, Nov 26, 2014.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

I have been really surprised (when I switched from a Lumia to an iPhone) that iOS does not natively include public transportation navigation. It's something that their competitors have had for years and is something that I would say is almost completely indispensible in any city outside of the US (i.e., where the norm is to use public transportation and no one has a car). From this perspective, I am almost amazed that Apple is able to find much of a market at all outside of the US.

Anyway, can anyone tell me how to graft into an iPhone the ability to navigate public transportation?

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I would not say it is the norm not to have a car outside the U.S.

Anyway, train and bus apps are aplenty in the App Store.

3. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

I said city outside of the U.S. In Europe Nokia Here maps are brilliant. Both the public transport navigation/planning and the truly offline maps of which you can download entire countries worth in single downloads.

4. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Is that the norm? :confused:

5. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

The percentage of people that own cars in most cities is very small. It's something that is hard to conceive of for most Americans, but it is true.

In other words, the average person living in a city outside of the US benefits infinitely more from public transport navigation than they do from driving navigation.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There are many, many apps, but I suggest trying these two:

1) Transit: Be sure to try the notification center options...it will show you the closest public transportation stops in your NC without even opening the app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/transit-app-now-citi-bike/id498151501?mt=8

2) Embark: No link because they have a unique app for each city. Search for Embark + your city name.

7. Rigby macrumors 601

You can use many of the same apps that those competitors have on the iPhone as well. E.g. Citymapper, Transit, Wayper, Embark, Navigon with urban guidance, just to name a few examples. There are also many city-specific metro apps. You can also use the public transport routing in the Google Maps app. Finally there is an interface to conveniently hand over route destinations from Apple Maps to such apps.
    Really? I lived outside of the US for most of my life and always had a car. :rolleyes:

8. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Google maps has always been good for me.

Worked great in London for all public transport.

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

FOund for travel outside the US, Google maps works the most consistent for me. I will download a specific app if I find it can provide more. For my default - Google Maps.

10. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

I installed Google Maps and it works well. i prefer the user interface and offline maps of Here Maps, but Google Maps seems like it will do the trick for me. I seem to find rumors that Here Maps will be returning to iOS in only a few months.

I'm deeply disappointed that Apple, 7 years after completely revolutionizing personal computing with the iPhone, remains unable to provide transit navigation when all its copycats have had this capability now for years.

11. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

I thought Apple bought "Hop Stop" in 2013?

12. JaJaWa macrumors 6502

JaJaWa

Google Maps now has the offline download features of Here Maps. The transit information (at least in Europe) is the same also.

13. Rigby macrumors 601

Yes. They have also acquired Embark last year. They are obviously planning to include transit routing into Maps at some point. But given that there are so many alternatives, it's not a big deal for me personally.

14. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

I hear ya. I still have and use Hop Stop...

15. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I live in a city outside the U.S. but most people have cars. When I use public transport I will use an app for that service.