Best way to get more speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tajpamma, Nov 13, 2012.

1. tajpamma macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro 13in early 2011 with 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor with 3MB shared L3 cache and 4GB (two 2GB SO-DIMMs) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory and a 320GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive

Out of the following what will be the best bang for the buck to increase speed and overal performance:
    Change HD to a SSD
    Upgrade RAM to the fullest amount? (would it need to be to 8gb or 16gb)
    Upgrade the logic board to the i7 (if possible)

Or any type of combination

Appreciate the help

Thanks

2. markus843 macrumors regular

3. superhrixenz macrumors member

Once you go SSD, you won't go back. It's very fast and noticeable. If you want a cheaper SSD, wait for the Black Friday deals.

4. CocoSS macrumors member

I have the same MB pro model as you own. First I changed the HDD for an SSD (Inter 520 series). It changed the speed of my MB pro radically. It's worth the money.

After this I've changed the RAM to 8 GB. I haven't felt much difference from the time with 4 GB and SSD. The only thing i noticed it's that there is no swap now.

Just change the HDD to an SSD, wait and see if you really need the memory boost.

5. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Go Ram for sure.

SSD is good for fast start and fast application launch, after that, unless SSD is being accessed, not much.

Don't get me wrong, I just ordered an SSD and expect it to be great. But one reason server don't use SSD is because they are always running, so their goes the start up part.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

YES.. an SSD is likely the most useful item you could add.. and as mentioned, I am sure Black Friday will be Full of Fun you you folks down there..

We Canadians will be cheering you on and salivating accordingly!! :D

7. dandan2300 macrumors newbie

I changed my Ram first, it was ok. But, then changed to an SSD and wow! Big difference