Best way to get new email notification with multiple folders?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Akula971, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Akula971 macrumors regular

Akula971

How can it be done? I have two email accounts, one mobile me and another from my hosted website for business. I have, via "rules" the business emails sorted into companies and customers folders on mobile me, so that they are synced across my Macs, but when an email comes into the business account, it shows on my MacPro and Mac Mini, but not on the IPhone, unless I traverse to the folder and look for it. I'm told it is because of mobile me's IMAP that it will not refresh folders until you look at them.

I need to be able to organise my inbox folders and see when mail comes in when I'm on the move. I can use POP or IMAP for my business account. How is it done? I don't really want one enormous inbox with smart folders, there must be an easy way?????:confused:

2. aquaboy macrumors regular

aquaboy

Hi, did you manage too fix this? I have the same problem

3. Akula971 thread starter macrumors regular

Akula971

Sort of a fix

In a way yes. What I used to have was a set of rules that moved messages when they arrived into the folders set up for them. As this then would not show as a new email on the IPhone, I changed it to copy to the respective folders. So in effect I have one large email inbox for each account which suits the IPhone and the rules copies the mail into each mailbox, which suits me and the mac.

4. aquaboy macrumors regular

aquaboy

Hi, thanks for the reply....

Quite a good workaround.... I'll stick with it, just a couple of anoying issues....

1st, You can't apply the move to folder rule on the me.com site, which therefore means the rules needs to be applied by a turned on mac with mail running, then that is then synced to the iphone. If me.com could do the rules, that would be fantastic.
    2nd, Copying rule, still means you have to delete the original out of your inbox, so its feels like the folders are more like organised trash folders....

These are only small issues which I can live with for now... Seems such a simple bug that i thought apple would have sorted years ago....

Thanks again.

5. Akula971 thread starter macrumors regular

Akula971

True

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. I wonder if the issue arises with outlook integration? But you'd think it would be easy enough to code something in the IPhones operating system/mobile me to recognise a new message in a folder?

6. Giorgosh macrumors newbie

Even with OS5 i have not managed to give a solution to the problem u state above. I do have the same problem and it is so annoying to check every time each folder to see if there is any new email :( Any new suggestions maybe?

7. Giorgosh macrumors newbie

Isnt it annoying to have to read and delete each mail twice? We are in 2012!