Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
So i sold my 3gs a couple weeks ago. AT&T automatically removed my unlimited data which i don't mind so right now i am on only the basic $39.99 plan. How should i go about getting a new iPhone? From my understanding i have 3 ways of getting it...

1) Early upgrade for $399. No i don't qualify for the early upgrade. I think there is also a $18 upgrade fee.

2) Cancel current plan. ETF is $130. Start new plan for $199 + 35. Save a few bucks this way. I do not need to keep my existing phone number.

3) Keep my line and add another line to get iPhone 4. Idea just popped in my head. Don't know if i would save any money this way. Activation fee, etc.

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Did you not sign a new 2-year contract when you bought your 3GS? Why would AT&T remove your data plan when you are required to pay it for the entirely of the contract, iPhone or not?

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Yes i signed a contract. ATT took off the data without me knowing when i called them about a completely different issue when i was on my LG Chocolate. Back on topic please.....

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Cheapest way is number two. Second line is a minimum of 24x10 = 240 extra over 2 years. Compare to 130 ETF.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
Yes i signed a contract. ATT took off the data without me knowing when i called them about a completely different issue when i was on my LG Chocolate. Back on topic please.....

they took off your unlimited plan because you switched phones

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
if you do option #2, paying the ETF might do these 2 things

make you lose your current number and i believe dont quote me on it, but you cant return to AT&T for XX amount of days

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
So i sold my 3gs a couple weeks ago. AT&T automatically removed my unlimited data which i don't mind so right now i am on only the basic $39.99 plan. How should i go about getting a new iPhone? From my understanding i have 3 ways of getting it...

1) Early upgrade for $399. No i don't qualify for the early upgrade. I think there is also a $18 upgrade fee.

2) Cancel current plan. ETF is $130. Start new plan for $199 + 35. Save a few bucks this way. I do not need to keep my existing phone number.

3) Keep my line and add another line to get iPhone 4. Idea just popped in my head. Don't know if i would save any money this way. Activation fee, etc.

1) I would ask AT&T to waive that 18 dollars upgrade fee. If you have been paying bills on time, then they will consider it for sure. However, if you have not been paying on time, then don't lie. AT&T has all the payment history information. Since, you have sold your old iphone, then you should be able to use some of the money to cover as much as possible.

2) Canceling a current plan will make you lose your number. By the way, since you have dropped your unlimited plan, you will have to choose 15/25 dollars data plan for capped data. I hope you are okay with that.

3) Add another line is a tricky part. If you have a single plan, then AT&T will ask you to switch your current plan to family plan. If you have any rollover minutes, you might lose them. (I say you might because this depends on the cases and I need more information) Activation fee for AT&T is 26 dollars for adding a line.

Finally, don't just get fooled by what you pay up front. It may sound like paying 399/and 499 dollars is a lot, but you might pay more over the time with your additional line. 9.99 dollars by 24 months? That's 240 dollars without tax. With Activation fee, this is a bad idea. It is always recommended by AT&T representative because they want to make sales.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks for the help guys. Yes i dont mind the new capped data plan and i dont need my existing number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.