Best way to get OS on SSD: 2012 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RansomeW, Jul 7, 2012.

1. RansomeW macrumors newbie

I'm in the last stages of getting my new MBP up and running, the way I want it. The last step is installing the SSD and making it the boot drive. From previous threads, I'm planning to run the SSD in the OptiBay and just leave the HD where it is. I was planning to just install it and use Carbon Copy Cloner to move the OS and associated files over to the SSD. Since I've read some long and complicated instructions, involving buying a new copy of Lion, creating a boot thumb drive etc., I'm thinking I'm missing something. If this process will work, can I just leave the OS on the HD as well? I don't mind using a little space on the HD for this purpose, since most of my data will be on external drives.

Thanks.

2. Rajpdx macrumors regular

Assuming the 2012 optical bay doesn't have an issue with a Sata III SSD (check at macsales.com - they have a blog which has been keeping an eye on this) then you can put the SSD in the optical bay.

Generally I'd advise putting your fastest drive in the main bay as this is what Apple designed it for.

Your plan is fine. You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to make the clone on your SSD - don't forget to use their option to recreate the Recovery Partition on the SSD and then reboot from the OS on the SSD. Once there you can decide whether you want to wipe the HDD or leave it as is - it won't affect anything although when you right-click to run an app you will see the apps on the HDD as well and that can get quite confusing but it isn't an issue. I've done it and on my last machine had that setup (HDD in optical bay) with Bootcamp and Mountain Lion on it.

You don't need to buy another copy of Lion.

3. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Also, if you have a 2012 MBP you don't even need a thumb drive or anything if you don't want. You can hold CMD+R while booting and just download Lion from Apple. That's assuming you don't want to go the CCC route.