Best way to get pop3 email on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TGNman, Jul 30, 2008.

1. TGNman macrumors newbie

Hello fellow iPhone users.

Since day one of owning the original iPhone the email feature has been almost worthless to me. I use only one email account and its my business email. I currently use Outlook to view my pop3 account from my business website server. Because my business is 10+ years old and all over the web, I get maybe 500 spam emails a day. Currently I am using Trend-Micro to remove my spam from Outlook.

My problem comes in with using my iPhone to get my emails direct from my server. It receives all the spam and even with the new mass delete feature it’s still a pain in the butt and time consuming. The second problem is I would love to use the push feature so that any email I send from the iPhone would be in my sent folder in Outlook when I come home.

Do any of you have any thoughts on either getting rid of spam on my iPhone or the push features? I am willing to buy or subscribe to any service like mobile me or whatever it takes to get a nice working email system in place for my business. I am just not that knowledgeable on my options, if any….

Thanks for any help in advanced.

Mark

2. Blown01NJ macrumors member

I dont know about the spam thing, but pretty sure PUSH isnt supported with Pop3.

I manage a small business, and like you use POP email from my business's domain name set up with my hosting service. No Exchange or anything like that.

I just manually get email when I need it, so for me its no big deal. Id guess in order to get those sent emails to outlook on your PC youd have to sync it up, and Im not quite sure that would do it either.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

MobileMe would be a good choice for you, and you could always link it to Outlook on your computer (not direct to the server) and thus take advantage of whatever local spam filtering you have. Similarly you could just forward all non-spam to MobileMe on a short interval, and that would then be pushed to your iPhone.

4. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

5. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I let Outlook receive my email on my PC, then I have a rule set up to forward some of it to another address that I only set up on the iPhone.

That way, all my spam filters still work, plus my rule is don't forward messages to the iPhone from senders like Amazon, Ebay, etc, which can wait till I'm back at my PC.

It works pretty well.

6. sibruk macrumors 6502a

Are you sure your hosting provider doesn't support IMAP as well as POP? That would be the easiest way to stay in sync between machines.

7. TGNman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. Man, this can get complicated with all these option. IMAP, mobile me, hosted exchange etc…

Ok, I have to admit I know nothing about IMAP but I did look up my host (Hostasaurus) and it looks like they offer IMAP. I read a description about it but I am still not clear on how it would work with my iPhone and if this will allow me to view emails only after they have been filtered locally on my PC?

I looked up this hosted Exchange option and it looks interesting and I want to learn more. I have sent an email to my host to see what they recommend. If anyone recommends a particular site to use, please let me know.

Thanks again for any help.
    Mark

8. sibruk macrumors 6502a

If your hosting provider does IMAP, you don't have to sign up for anything else.

IMAP can replace your current POP3 collection of mails. In a nutshell, your mail stays on the server and so you're in sync, wherever you check your mail. Don't worry, you can "archive" off things into local folders when you don't need them on the server any more.

Just set up a new account, both on your Mac/PC email application and on the iPhone, with the IMAP server details your provider gives you. Once you are satisfied that everything is working, you can remove your old POP3 accounts on your computer.

Just be careful when deleting the old POP accounts. Mail (as in Mac OS X Mail) handles it in a rather stupid way. First, archive off everything that is in your Inbox, Sent Items, Drafts etc to local folders. Then you can pull them back into the server folders afterwards. Otherwise Mail will just delete the items in the original folders when you delete the account.

The only thing you won't get with this is "Push" but unless checking every 15 minutes is too slow for you, it'll be just fine.

EDIT: Just realised you're using a PC with Outlook, so the stuff about the Mail archival might not apply. Might be sensible to do that anyway though, I'm not sure how Outlook handles the mail store. You could put it into a new .pst file and move back out from there if necessary.

9. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I agree, IMAP should work well enough for you. Just fyi I use Sherweb for my hosted exchange. Pretty nice.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030