Best way to get push email on own domain

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JeffTL, Jan 31, 2009.

1. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I happen to own an Internet domain that I would like to use for iPhone-compatible push email with one mailbox. The obvious option is hosted Exchange for about $10 a month from GoDaddy, but I am curious if there is any more cost-effective means.

Specifically, does anyone have experience with Yahoo's $35 business email plan and the iPhone? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=444703 reports success with getting it to talk, but I want to know for sure that push email works reasonably well with this (as it does presently with my standard Yahoo account) before I drop the $35. I'd also like to know for sure if anyone has noticed any real disadvantages relative to an Exchange-based solution.

Thanks!

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

With my first 2g iPhone I used Yahoo Push. However, I used the userid@yahoo.com email address. It worked quite well for Push Email. I believe others were able to use a private domain. You should be able to search for treads on the subject.

When I got my 3G iPhone and MobileMe became available I switched to MobileMe. Mainly because I wanted to add OTA Contact and Calendar Syncing.

I am also a GoDaddy Customer. I have considered trying the New Exchange Service from them but since I am pretty happy with MobileMe I will stick with it.

I think the main thing to consider is how important is OTA Sync of Contacts and Calendar is to you. Also, do you want your phone to mirror you Email using your normal domain. I simply auto forward my important email to MobileMe for while I am away from the office. I really don't want to keep the email on my phone. With Exchange and Outlook all of your folders will be in Sync in Outlook and on the iPhone including Contacts and Calendar.

3. rickytowner macrumors member

rickytowner

4. Sebby macrumors 6502a

What I do is just forward my domain address to my MobileMe address, instead of having a mailbox setup for them. Best of both worlds. :)

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I do that too, but you're still replying from a different address than you're being addressed at.

I ended up just transitioning everyone to my MMe address while forwarding select mailboxes from my domain to MMe (for push) and keeping a catch-all which I check manually on my iPhone as needed. I suppose that's what Apple wants, right? Locking ourselves into MMe by using that address exclusively ... whatever. It works. :)

6. Sebby macrumors 6502a

Yep, that is the only problem. On well, £59/year for the rest of my life it is!

7. Neya macrumors newbie

I forward emails to mail2web and then set it up like a microsoft exchange email (directions I found here http://lifehacker.com/398526/set-up-push-email-contacts-and-calendar-on-your-iphone-for-free ). Free push service is offered, even in the free package.
    Replying is easy too, click reply, click "cc/bcc From: "
    then delete yourname@mail2web.com and pick your preferred "from" address. I have my gmail (which is the account I forward from) setup on my iphone also, so it allows me to pick it.

Yes it requires 2 mailboxes I believe to allow for picking the "from" attribute. But its free.

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

There's a solution for that. I have my Gmail forward to MobileMe and when I set up MobileMe on the iPhone I just changed the Outgoing Mail Server to smtp.gmail.com and chose that as my primary server. That way when I reply someone I always reply from my Gmail account.

9. Sebby macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

That doesn't change the "from" address though, does it?

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't think it does. It just changes the server from which the email is being sent through... not the actual sender.

11. Neya macrumors newbie

yes it does. when someone recieves an email coming from my mail2web box (mailbox 1) it is labeled from my gmail. they hit reply, it sends to my gmail -then bounces to my mail2web.
    However, its possible (probable)that what it does is by changing the From address it actually sends the mail out of mailbox 2 (gmail).

I have heard, and seen, you can format the from field in the iphone mailbox to say whatever you want. maybe this is fixed. i.e. people could send emails from their iphone labeled stevejobs@apple.com or obama@whitehouse.gov

12. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I don't think you can do that with MobileMe, though.