Best way to go about buying iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Buskins, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Buskins macrumors member

Hi folks,

I am currently living in the UK waiting for my greencard which'll most likely be squared away in June 2013. My wife, who lives in the US is adamant about buying me an iMac for long belated father's day / birthday present.

What is the best way to go about doing it? I suggested she log onto the UK Apple Store (where everything is listed in Sterling) and buy from there with the assumption that despite living in the US, buying it from Apple.co.uk will not create a customs charge on delivery as would if she bought it from Apple.com and set an overseas destination. The principle is the same for whenever I buy her goods I buy from Amazon.COM so to avoid international shipping / customs fee.

As the iMacs ship from China or wherever how does this interact with customs? I know if I buy it from the UK store it'll be delivered fine and dandy, but my wife is the one who wants to click buy (sense of giving me something I need, gosh she's a darling!)

Is there some flaw to her being in the USA, buying an iMac from the UK store website for shipping to the UK a viable way to go about it? She was going to wire the money but (with our banks) there are like 2 different fees which equate to around 75-100 pounds worth of fees.

2. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine that things are any different from the way I shop at Amazon where I use .com to buy presents for friends in the US and .co.uk for me. If she orders from the UK store and specifies a UK delivery address, then all the relevant taxes (and Apple price hike for not being American) should be applied at that point.

It should work in exactly the same way as if you ordered it yourself from the UK.

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Since everything costs about 20-30% more in th UK. You could save money geting it sent tou your wife and then sent on to you.

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Shipping and customs will eat quite a large chunk of that saving.

5. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

True, but surely worth looking into?

6. blanka macrumors 68000

Just buy it at a VAT-free day at Mediamarkt. No hassle.