best way to go about domain changes?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by dmmcintyre3, Aug 24, 2009.

1. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I have moved my site to a new domain. I have the old domain and urls still working. Should I make all the pages on the old domain when typed in redirect to the new domain? If I should how would I go about doing this? Or is there something better I should do?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. dmmcintyre3 thread starter macrumors 68020

would that work for pages inside the site too like olddomain.co.cc/page to newdomain.com/page ?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Correct. Be sure to read the links I provided. They give a lot of good details on this topic.

5. junker macrumors 6502

junker

I have a similar question in this vein... and pardon me if this somewhat offtopic...

I now have a domain and wish to move my .mac/.me files from a particular site of mine that not only did I make in iweb, but it also allowed people to upload photos to. (this was my wedding pictures and family members posted their pics as well)

How do I move this site to my domain along with their pictures? I know how to save my sites in iweb into it's own local folder (I have a few web pages/sites ) - but what about all the files everyone uploaded? Will I need to download each picture? (BTW, there are a few dozen at least!)

Thanks