Best way to go about storing iTunes library.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by visualise-this, Jul 15, 2012.

1. visualise-this macrumors newbie

I've gone from having a 27" iMac to one of the new 15" retinas and am having trouble with figuring out the best way to store my iTunes library.

I've got a 17gb music library and 200gb worth of apps, videos, PDFs that I only need when I'm at home. Currently I've got it all stored on a hd that's plugged into my airport extreme.

Basically I'd love to be able to have my iTunes music everywhere with me on the go but don't care about anything else. What's the best and easiest way to go about splitting my iTubes library?

The easiest way would probably be to just store my movies externally but then what do I do with my 50gb of iphone/iPad apps as there is no way as far as I know to stop syncing my apps to the computer.

2. beauregard macrumors newbie

I don't have personal experience with the huge volumes you're talking about, but ...

Since your big concern is having your music everywhere, have you thought about iTunes Match? (This assumes you have less than 25,000 songs.)

For $25 per year, this will store your music in the iCloud, and therefore allow you access from all your Apple machines.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4914?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US for more details (assuming you're in the U.S.).

3. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

First thing would be to cull down your apps, you prob don't need them all, next select to manually manage your iTunes and place the stuff where you want.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios