Best Way To Go About Updating 9600m Drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 103734, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 103734 Guest

Will the apple software update automatically update the video drivers for the 9600m or would the best option be to go to the nVidia website and update the drivers like you normally do?

2. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Apple writes their own graphics drivers, NVidia doesn't (unlike on the PC side of things, where the card manufacturer is responsible for the drivers). Mac OS X GPU drivers will show up (rarely) as usual in software update.

3. 103734 thread starter Guest

Even the windows drivers?

4. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

www.laptopvideo2go.com

Look up your model and try them out. Make sure you follow the directions to install it correctly [like downloading the modded INF file].

I would not recommend the most recent ones... the newest is not always the greatest.

5. 103734 thread starter Guest

im just asking if we should update the video drivers on the macbook pro when running windows XP or if they are included in the Apple Software Update in windows, or if I should no update them at all.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Unless you have a specific need for a particular driver you should just let ASU handle it.

7. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If you're gaming, i generally like to keep up with the latest Nvidia drivers. They run flawless on my Macbook Pro (8600M GT 128 MB) and I've found them much better than the Apple provided drivers (which I found to be quite old). I don't know how old the drivers for the 9600M GT that Apple provides for the Macbook Pro.

8. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Indeed. Apple falls behind quickly with bootcamp drivers because they do not care nearly as much about Windows and drivers, even if many loyal customers use it... :rolleyes: