Best way to go from HDD to SSD+HDD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by irishdrunk, Dec 30, 2011.

1. irishdrunk macrumors newbie

So I got my new MBP yesterday (15, Early '11) with 750GB HDD. It was a refurb so I didn't get any retail disc's or software, everything pre-installed. I did download and use the Lion Recovery Disc Assistant, and put it on a 2GB Flash Drive.

I have an SSD and Optibay incoming this week. I have searched and lurked quite a bit, and I 'm still a bit uneasy of the best way to approach this.

Obviously I will be running the SSD in the HDD's place, and running the HDD in the optical bay. The general consensus seems to be cloning. I'm sketchy on this recovery partition though. Once Lion is working on the SSD, I need to format the 750GB that came with the MAc to use as my data drive, home user drive etc etc. I've read that cloning over won't copy the Recovery HD, but I have it on the USB stick so am I good? Any help or maybe a link to the whole process would be great. I'm still searching around as well.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you do a block copy with Carbon Copy Cloner, it does copy the Lion recovery partition.

Will CCC clone the "Recovery HD" partition on Lion?