Best way to go to allow for several concurrent virtual machines

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BobbyCarbn, Sep 19, 2010.

1. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

I am interested to see if any MR users out there use their Mac Pro for running multiple virtual machines concurrently? Plenty of folks run one or two even on a MBP with little problems at all. I am considering running 4 at the same time. Is this going to work? I plan on running Vmware Fusion 3 with 4 virtual machines with Windows 2003 Server Enterprise. This will hopefully work as my all-in-one virtual lab for my security research and development.

I was thinking of an 8 core 2.66 (2009) MP with 24GB of RAM to start with.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Cheers!
    BC

2. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

I run 4 all the time. 3 centos 1 winblows. Works fine. Same configuration you mention but with 32gb ram and 4 fast drives in raid0.

3. BobbyCarbn thread starter macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

Lemonade-maker: Which video card did you go with?

4. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

I have gt120 and gt285 running 4 Dell 24 inch lcds. Used a gt8800 for quite a while.

5. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I recently tried this with my new 6 core MP with 12gb ram. (VMware Fusion 3)

One VM assigned 2 cores + 2gb ram, and another assigned 4 cores + 4gb ram. I ran Oracle 11g DB on one VM, and Oracle BI 11g on the other. I was shocked at how smoothly everything was running on my mac - I also had Safari with about 10 tabs open, iTunes open, iChat, and Mail. The CPU usage charts barely showed any high core usage (see attachment). Quite impressive.

Attached Files:

6. Zerozal macrumors 6502

You'll be fine as long as you have enough RAM. I routinely run 2 VMs concurrently with Fusion and everything runs smoothly.

Make sure that you have enough RAM to cover OS X plus the total of all the RAM allocated to your VMs (plus some additional RAM for upside). As long as your RAM covers what you have allocated to the VMs you'll be fine.

7. goMac macrumors 603

I run about 3-4 at a time. As others have said, RAM is going to be important. I'd get at least 16 gigs (depending on the guest OS's, Windows can be a RAM hog.)

8. BobbyCarbn thread starter macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

Thanks for the replies! Great feedback. 24GB is now on my list for sure!

9. BobbyCarbn thread starter macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

Now to decide, do I grab the oct-2.6 in the refurb store right now or hold out for an oct-2.93? :)