Best way to handle this web project? Explanation inside

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Aug 26, 2009.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

A friend and I are having this 'bucket list' thing going on, just for laughs.
    Things to do before we die.

And because sheets of paper are so outdated, we'd like to have some form of website where we keep track of our list :D

I have very limited web design knowledge, but I don't ask for any assistance in building it.
    I just want to know if you guys have some suggestions as to what's the best way of handling this/getting this started.

Criteria:
    - both of us log in
    - both of us can add stuff to the list
    - both of us can blog about things on the list

What's the best platform to do this according to you?
    An actual blogging website, perhaps? (I'm not familiar with the blogging scene, so what are the best names out there?)

Or any other suggestions are more than welcome too, of course.

Thanks in advance!

2. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Perhaps you should try Blogspot if you don't want to pay and share content, or maybe use Google Groups if you want it "enclosed within a circle of people".

3. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Wordpress is the best option if you want the site to be hosted on your own domain.

4. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

But Wordpress is open for anyone to view, right?
    Can Wordpress have 2 admins?

5. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you want to blog about it, then why does it matter if it's open to anyone?

If you'd rather the "blogging" be more of a conversation and discussion just between you and your friend, ignore the blog platforms. In this case you'll want a wiki. You can share the same login/password, and lock down access so that only the people you allow to have access will be able to view your material. Also, you can create multiple users with editing permissions, and won't even have to share logins.

Something like PBworks (formerly PBwiki) is great for this -- I've used it for organizing lists and arranging meetings with friends numerous times.

7. mgpg89 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I was just in the process of registering a Wordpress blog, when it hit me.
    A Facebook group can do all that and we both already have FB profiles, so it's a quick choice.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!