Best way to have remote access to home computer - VNC and DynDNS?? VPN?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sean Dempsey, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I am moving to a new job that will be about 30 minutes away from home, and I'd like to be able to access my home Mac Pro. I should have fairly decent internet at the new home and new job, so I'd like to set up some sort of VPN or remote access.

Would having DynDNS and then VNC acccess be the best way to do this? What about setting up a VPN so I can access files from a work machine?

What are some of the more popular, secure methods of doing this sort of thing?

2. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

i use SSH to tunnel a VNC connection to my mac mini server at home.

I also have logmein set up on the server just in case i need to fix something quickly or dont have access to a machine with ssh already installed.

when im away and using my personal macs i use sharetool. this is the best set up for me but it requires me to be using a mac with a sharetool license which is not always the case. plus sharetool acts as a VPN server so you get access to everything else on your home network.

the SSH/VNC or the logmein solution is independent of the OS im using so they are more versatile.

Some corporate firewalls/proxies may not allow you to connect to external SSH servers or allow access to the logmein website. This may or may not be the case with your new company so make sure you find out what is possible before relying on a solution.

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I don't know the first thing about SSH.

If want to say, be able to Screen Share my home computer, will any VNC client do (like Chicken of the VNC?). I have the port opened and forwarded, and it appears to work from my iphone over 3G with the Mocha VNC, so now I'm wondering how I'd do a think like transfer files from my home machine to my laptop, would I need to learn enough SSH commands to start a VPN and transfer files that way?

4. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

I would say LogMeIn. It's dead simple to use and free! Zero config required. Sign in and go!

I like it so much I bought LogMeIn Ignition for my iPad/iPhone.

And why don't you use Dropbox to get at files?

HTH

- D

5. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Try drop box its free (2gb) and kind of secure.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very simple to set up and use, and very secure.

7. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

With something like dropbox, are there certain aspects of that which make it better than using SFTP and a dyndns?

Right now, I've figured out how to enable VNC and then use SFTP to connect to the file system for drag/drop of files.

Is this just bad because it requires port 22 to be open for SSH?