Best way to hook up to home audio

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by forumuser1080, Nov 6, 2010.

1. forumuser1080 macrumors newbie

I have a whole house audio system and I would like to integrate my iphone 4. The system has ir 'eyes' that you can place on components such that you can control the components in another room.

I looked at getting the universal dock that has a remote (and then buying a stereo to av cable converter, since the dock only outputs single stereo jack) :(
    I would also have to buy another power cord. which means I would be spending a lot more money since apple does not seem to think people might want a power cord with the dock

Problem is that apple makes the universal dock to fit the phone with no case. Since I have a bumper I would have to take adapter out of the dock to use, which seems like a little bit of a bad idea since I will be plugging and unplugging the phone every day.

I looked into the av cables that apple sells which will work great except for the fact that I would lose the ability to control the phone from another room via the whole house ir.

Has any one else ran into this problem and come up with a good solution, maybe a third party piece of hardware that works well.

Thanks!!!

2. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Get an AppleTV or an Airport Express to pipe the music over wirelessly. With 4.2 you can stream it directly from the phone, until then, you'll be able to use remote to control the computer from the phone.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

2nd the Airport Express and/or AppleTv in places where you might also want video. With the free Remote app from Apple, this is one of the better (and cheaper) ways to stream audio around the house. Those IR 'eyes' work rather poorly in my experience.