Best way to import iphoto library to Aperture?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Freida, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hello guys,

i've just got the retina mac and I'm wondering what is the most effective way to import my iphoto library to aperture. I've noticed that iPhoto is creating a lot of unnecessary files everytime you make a change whereas aperture (at least to my understanding) is just creating a record of changes which results in less footprint on the hard drive. Is that correct?
    If so, what is the best way to import iPhoto library and get the extra space (ie, delete all the crap iPhoto created) so I can have everything nicely organised in Aperture and get more space on the HDD.
    Do I just import the library? What next? Consolidate? Do I lose any edits by doing that? I've done proper editing only in Aperture so I don't mind losing edits in iPhoto but I don't want to lose the edits in Aperture so can you please advise me on what to do, please?

Thank you very much in advance

2. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I thought there was a new feature to share libraries?

I did it last month when it updated but not on my mac to give advice i'm afraid.

3. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

I know about that share libraries but I don't want that. I want to get rid of iPhoto as it keeps so many unnecessary files so if I can do it all in aperture then i hope to save space
    :)

4. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

or is better way to open aperture, switch to iphoto library and then select consolidate? Do I understand correctly that that procedure would take all the pics from the iPhoto library and would put them to aperture library?

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

6. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

well, i still have 2 physical files on the disk so the switching is not ideal. Also, iPhoto creates a lot of crap files for no reason so how do I get rid of those?

----------

example,

aperture masters take 26gb out of 28 of the whole library.
    iphoto masters 100gb out of 140gb of the whole library.

so yeah, i would like to get at least 30gb back :)

7. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

so, do you think that would work? switch and then consolidate? so it would transfer the pics from the iphoto to aperture?