Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pablo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Texas
I've got a Linksys 802.11b router (BEFW11S4) with a Windows 2K box (hard wired), a Dell laptop, and a 17" Powerbook hooked up to it).

It's located in an upstairs closet, which gives good reception thougout the house for the most part, but unfortunately the signal drops to two bars in my downstairs office...where the Powerbook is for the most part.

I've got a ethernet jack in the downstairs office, and have been thinking about adding an access point, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to do it.

I figure I'll either go with another Linksys product, or an Apple AE base station. I'd like to use both wireless units to get the best coverage, and I don't believe the Linksys router will work off another router, so I assume it has to stay where it is, so adding some sort of access point behind the router seems to be the best option.

Can the AE base station be used behind the router?

I see that the new AE base station has a USB port to connect a printer. Would I be able to put my HP 1200 Laserjet on the AE base station in my office (again, behind the router) and have it accessible to the rest of the computers on the LAN/WAN)?

Any other suggestions?

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
one router

one router ... but use range extending/boosting antenas. Dr. Bott came out with a few diffrent types recently. I have seen outdoor ones as well. I think Linksys makes one too... if I remember right.

Pablo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Texas
Linksys had one for 802.11b, but it looks like it's been discontinued, and I don't want to pour any more money into 802.11b.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.