Best way to install 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bntz313, Nov 2, 2007.

1. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I was wondering what is the best way to install leopard? I got the UTD copy. Thanks

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

The UTD disk is the same as any other.

I strongly encourage you to do "archive and install." Make sure you don't miss it. You have to use the customize, or options tab they always hide it.

I'd do "archive and install," plus make sure the little option is clicked to also transfer your settings and applications.

I did an archive and install and an upgrade, and the archive was just as good and fast. I really encourage it. it's very fresh, and works very well.

You might also select the options to not install foreign languages and printer drivers, and save a few GBs.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

No its not, it needs to detect a previous Tiger install...

4. King t. macrumors regular

got the same issue, what is the best way of installing leopard.

I only received the upgrade DVD for 8,95€, a lot people say that with the upgrade DVD you can only update since it'll look for Tiger. is that true? so the update DVD of Leopard is not a full version ?:confused:

5. rhys105 macrumors regular

rhys105

6. TheZA macrumors regular

Postpone until there are bug fixes. But seriously, I've installed it four times; two clean installs with migrating files from an external and internal partition, and two upgrades. For me it was all about the same; same bugs.

7. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Not everyone is having major bugs. I'm using a MacPro 2.66 and am quite happy. I even did a standard install over the top of Tiger. It only messed up Mail and I was able to recover by entering new settings.

I'm running Tiger on one drive and Leopard on another. I thought of doing it this way for a week or so to make sure Leopard works before deleting Tiger to free up disk space. I might make the plunge sooner since Leopard is running so well. I haven't been back to the Tiger side for quite awhile and I'm probably done with that. I'm having a few minor issues but so far no deal breakers.

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

It's fun to play around in Leopard though - well with all the stuff that will work.
    I've done the same as you and found spent hours on the phone with Apple.
    Nothing seems to keep the bugs away from my MBP so that said, if you install (anyway you do it) you might have some bugs, and you might not, but if you really need to use your computer for something extremely urgent, you probably shouldn't install just yet.;)