Best way to install Bootcamp and VMware

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by joms, May 29, 2010.

1. joms macrumors member

Hi,

I'm a new MAC user and im getting swamped with info. My question is, what is the best way to install Bootcamp? Should i install MAC OSX Snow Leopard first? Or should i install Bootcamp then Windows first? Then MAC OSX?

Sorry i'm really new to this and ive tried reading the sticky but there's no "BEST WAY TO INSTALL BOOTCAMP" even if i google it.

Thanks.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Well... Do you have a version of OS X already installed?

3. joms thread starter macrumors member

I have the latest MAC OSX 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) installded. I can always re-install OSX or such.....

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. joms thread starter macrumors member

Well, i was kind of leaning on experienced users in giving me the "BEST" way to install Bootcamp.... and not just the ordinary method as per the manual.

Much like in Windows, it states that in installing windows, what you just need to do is to insert the disk and straight away install it in the given partition.

However, experience taught me that it would be much better if you create a separate partition to install Windows (like 25GB) and install your documents in another partition. It would be even better if you put your pagefiles and temp files on another physical drive, etc, etc.

This is what i meant by "best way to install bootcamp". There might be some method experienced users do in installing bootcamp in its most efficient way.

Otherwise, i'll just fall back to the standard method.

Any experienced users out there that can give me some tips?

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yeah, standard install.

Moving documents etc to separate partitions and such is a waste of time. You're not going to spend all day in Windows are you?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The best way is the standard way, with only one big caveat. Are you running a Mac Pro? Only in that case are there worthwhile choices to be made.

If you have any special needs we can help you develop workarounds, but you generally don't gain a thing by not following the guide.

B

8. joms thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. Anyway I have another question,

What's the best way to go if I want to install both Bootcamp and VMware?

a) Should I install bootcamp first or Vmware?
    b) Will they be sharing the same windows? Partition? Files?
    c) Is there a good and step-by-step guide for this?

Thanks again and sorry to be such a noob.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Are you planning to use a single Windows license or two?

B

10. joms thread starter macrumors member

11. woohoo macrumors newbie

I to would like the know the same thing I just received my copy of windows 7 am not sure what to install first and do they share a partition or do they both have there own separate partition.

c) I have looked on youtube and there are some pretty good step-by-step guides for installing windows using both bootcamp and VMware.

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

1. Use the Boot Camp Assistant (you don't "install" Boot Camp) to create the desired Windows partition.
    2. Install Windows per the instructions, so we don't get the wrong answer to the question in the image below.
    3. Install VMWare
    4. Create the Windows VM, pointing it to the Boot Camped Windows install. You may have to re-authenticate the license, but not necessarily.

Attached Files: