Best way to install lion on blank mba ssd

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cis4life, Aug 12, 2011.

1. cis4life, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

cis4life macrumors regular

Hello,

I purchased a larger HD for my MBA 11'. It will be here today. I have the new MBA 2011 with lion installed, but of course i'll be removing that one (128) and placing in the new 256 ssd. So the SSD will be blank.

Will I be able to simply use the OTA install of lion onto the HD? I will have a time machine of my current hd. But didn't know if something special was on the original HD's to allow the OTA install of lion

What would you do?

2. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I would use Carbon Copy Cloner

3. cis4life thread starter macrumors regular

I can try that,

But would the OTA install for lion work on a blank SSD, or is something special on those ssd drives coming from apple that allows this?

4. vkuber macrumors regular

vkuber

Can't you just Command+R on start-up and then use the online install/recovery from Apple's server to download Lion, etc?

5. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I did. Make sure to open the App Store to register your Mac and get your free iLife downloads first.

6. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

anyone have a video how to change the SSD on the new MBA?? (I have the 13 inches)

And where to buy the SSD

7. cis4life thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect,

Thats exactly what I wanted to know.

I bought mine off ebay from a user who was saleing his 256 ssd from a 2011 mba (he bought the higher owc ssd)

But you can buy and watch how to install a mba ssd from...
    http://eshop.macsales.com/search/macbook+air

Thanks

8. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

9. cis4life thread starter macrumors regular

I paid 440 for my ssd. a bit more if i would of had it custom from apple. But the mba was a gift from my wife. So It had everything, i just needed a larger ssd.

10. vkuber macrumors regular

vkuber

What do you by free iLife downloads? I see some updates for iPhoto, iMovie, etc in my App store. Am I missing something here? Just picked up my MBA last night and can't find were to register it on the App store as well. I am back to a MAC after a long time so I am kind of learning on the go again.

11. Spacemarine macrumors newbie

The Internet recovery works only with the new 2011 MBA models. I tried it on mine: Removed all partitions with a bootable Ubuntu-USB-Stick and then pressed CMD+R at the next startup. Everythig was downloaded from the internet over WIFI.

As this is a firmware feature, it only works with the new models, starting with the new 2011 MBA.

Note: I never had to enter my Apple-ID or register in the Appstore. The preinstalled Lion is purely bound to the Hardware-ID.

12. robby818 macrumors 6502a

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Assuming you have logged into App Store - as soon as it offers you those updates then the iLife is allocated to your account.