Best way to install SSD in early 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lucagfc, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Lucagfc macrumors 6502

Hi

I want to install a 256 gb Samsung 830 in my Early 2011 17" MBP. Wich ka the Best way to transfer all my data with the OS? In this day I haven' t the internet connection.

I can copy all my data with Carbon Copy Cloner but what about the Lion ricovery partition? There's a Best way to copy all my data? Thanks a lot!!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Buy the new SSD in an enclosure, or buy a separate enclosure. Then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your drive to the new SSD, then swap the drives, so your old drive is now usable as an external drive. CCC will clone the recovery partition, as well.

3. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you sure? Carbon copy Cloner will copy also the bootcamp partition??

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You first asked about the recovery partition, and the answer is yes. It can also copy the bootcamp partition:
    Can CCC back up my BootCamp (Windows) partition?

5. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information. What I wan' t to do is copy the main Machintosh HD partition and also the recovery partition but NOT the bootcamp partition. I need to delete it first or I can specify to CCC to not copy that partition? Sorry and thanks for helps!

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can specify not to copy it.

7. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

Reading the link you posted I found this:

"Will CCC clone both my Mac OS X and Windows partition at the same time?"

No, CCC will copy only one volume at a time, and CCC will not modify the partitioning of the destination disk. You should apply your custom partitioning prior to restoring anything to your new disk.

This means that I need to manually create the recovery partition and after that copy all data into it? the partition need to be hidden. How can I do that? thanks!

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The CCC website will give you all the information you need.

Will CCC clone the "Recovery HD" partition on Lion?

10. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Lucagfc thread starter macrumors 6502

I' m here again to ask help! I saw that CCC will automatically copy the Lion Recovery Partition to a image file. With that file how can I create a new recovery hidden partition and write all data in it? thanks!