Best way to install Windows 7 32 or 64?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pectin232, Aug 2, 2010.

1. pectin232 macrumors 6502

Using parallels, VMWare or Bootcamp or any others? What is the fastest or easiest way without hard drive corruption?

2. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I use VM Ware, and it's quite fast to install, probably not that much faster than Parallels.

What hard drive corruption? Do you mean partitioning? The safest thing is definitely to use some kind of virtual machine software, like VMWare or Parallels, but that means Windows will share resources with Mac.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Installing Windows on a Mac is already some kind of HDD corruption don't you think? ;)

What do you want to do with Windows and which Mac do you have? The answers are critical to figuring out which method of installing Windows is preferable.

e.g. if your goal is gaming, forget virtualization.

B

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Bootcamp is fastest. Virtualization at its current state is slower than running native. None of the options is likely to corrupt your drive (unless it's near corruption already).

5. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

But it will only when it is open right? When the app is closed it shouldn't do anything to a mbp performance?

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Shouldn't, no. But both VM vendors have had issues with keeping their installed services quiet when they're not in use.

7. usuario macrumors newbie

It is possible to corrupt your hard drive if you don't do it the right way. I used Boot Camp with 32-bit Windows 7 and it worked for a month until yesterday when suddenly my computer froze, I got a blue screen of death saying that a system file was corrupted, and Windows never booted up again after I rebooted and tried to repair the file system with the Windows DVD. I reformatted the partition today and reinstalled Windows 7 and Boot Camp and things seem okay (for now). Then again I did install some software I downloaded off BitTorrent yesterday so there's a chance it was some virus that corrupted my hard disk and nothing to do with Boot Camp.

8. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Nice!

Yeah, those answers are kind of important.... :)

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Running Windows natively is always the best bet. I use my bootcamp partition in parallels which is fine. As with any vmware software make sure you have a lot of ram.

10. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Not to hi-jack the thread, but people always get so touchy if you don't search the forums beforehand.

I'm going to Drexel University in the fall and they offer Windows 7 Professional for $20.04 (pretty good deal right? Then again, I'm paying thousands of dollars each year to go, so take that with a grain of salt) in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. At the moment, I want to install using Bootcamp because I would only be gaming. In the future, I may have to install some CAD programs as well, since I'm majoring in engineering (though I haven't decided what kind yet, so I'm not sure). Should I buy the 32 bit version, or the 64 bit version?

BTW, I would be gaming in Steam, in case that makes a difference.

EDIT: They also offer Windows 7 Ultimate (32 and 64 bit) for the same price as professional. The question about 32 vs 64 stays, but should I go for Ultimate since it's the same price?

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which Mac? How much RAM do you have/expect to have. That's the main driver for 32/64 bit.

B

12. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Right, I forgot to mention that. I have the newest baseline iMac, 4 gigs of RAM, 3.06 GHz Core i3 processor.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You're right on the edge of 64 bit, so given your future engineering demands I'd strongly encourage 64 bit, but especially if you plan on also virtualizing your Boot Camp install, you should seriously consider upgrading to 6 or 8 GB.

B

14. KirkL macrumors 6502

64 bit for 4 GB or more of RAM. Get the 64 bit as you might want to upgrade the RAM in the future.

15. umiwangu macrumors 6502

Don't the retail packages of Ultimate include both 32 and 64 versions?

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yes, but not student or OEM. Usually the same key can still be used if you can get an iso or disc for the other version....

FWIW I don't recommend 64 bit in a VM on a 4 GB machine. If it will be primarily used in boot camp or >4GB will be allocated to the VM it may make sense to use 64 bit.

B

17. KirkL macrumors 6502

I remember picking the 64 bit version...not sure, but then again I didn't get Ultimate

Oh okay. Didn't know that :D

18. nikehair macrumors member

I would go with VMWare. I would avoid having an outside install of Windows unless you need it for games.

19. umiwangu macrumors 6502

That's what I use and I've been very happy with it...

20. Sir.Jonas macrumors newbie

Hello,

Any version of Windows 7 ? Home, business or ultimate ?

Wich one is better only for gaming with bootcamp ?

Rgds

Jonas

21. bkap16 macrumors member

For gaming, they're all equally good, so you may as well just go with Home Premium. Business adds the ability to RDP into the computer (remote desktop) and the ability to join a domain to the stuff in Home Premium. Ultimate adds the ability to switch languages and BitLocker encryption.

22. Sir.Jonas macrumors newbie

Thank you for your fast reply.

So all versions are equal for games. :)

23. cmon360 macrumors newbie

Not all versions are equal. Parallels Desktop dominates when it comes to gaming. Check out this MacTech video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxGEKkMrhA0.

24. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I think he was talking about versions of Windows 7....

25. cmon360 macrumors newbie

I had a good experience installing Windows 7 on Parallels Desktop 5. I used this video. Real smooth process. Check it out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HjHMSwm8gY&feature=player_embedded.