Best way to integrate iPods/iPads with a car?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Airforcekid, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I'm considering buying a used 2011 mustang but it does not come with the sync feature. I would like to be able to charge my iPhone and play music through the car speakers at the same time I was thinking of glueing an apple dock to the dash and drilling a hole to discreetly connect to the power but that dosent easily solve the audio any ideas? Thanks

2. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I just put this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Peripheral-PAC-IS77-Universal-Radios/dp/B002IY598O
    into our older Volvo V70. The device connects between the antenna and your radio, so no over-the-air issues (direct signal, and blocks others from coming through the car's antenna). The kit includes both options: standard 3.5 mm audio interface, or an ipod plug that also charges the device. Every situation is different, but I only had to drill one small hole for the on/off switch (that is, turn the unit off when you want to listen to the radio, and on when you want to listen to the ipod). The ipod cable comes out near the ashtray, and can be stored in the dash console.

I used this rather than a device that sends the signal OTA (such as Belkin) because the antenna in our car is embedded into the wagon-area windows, about 4-5 feet away from the dashboard. Most reviews I read of the OTA devices said they didn't work that well in these situations. My wife and daughter are very pleased with the way this works, and much better than the "tape cassette" method they had been using.

3. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

I'd be incredibly surprised if the Mustang didn't have some sort of connection on the back of the stereo that could be used. The FM antenna solution the poster above me used works, but is the worst way of doing it in terms of sound quality.

Your best bet is to ask over at a Mustang enthusiasts forum. I've installed iPod integration in a couple of Mazdas and a Vauxhall (UK make) I've had over the years, and the enthusiast forums for the car are always filled with incredibly helpful and useful people.

Good luck!