Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
One of my friends has just acquired a relative's old iPhone 3GS, and he wants to jailbreak and unlock it so he can use it on his carrier. I've jailbroken iPod touches using RedSn0w before, but I'm relatively new to the idea of basebands and the more phone-specific parts of jailbreaking.

The iPhone is on a version of iOS 3 (I can't remember the specific version). As far as I know and have read, there isn't a full jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 (which is what iTunes automatically prompts an update to), and Apple don't verify any older versions of iOS any more.

What is the best way of jailbreaking and unlocking the phone from this point? Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Find out exactly what the firmware on this phone. If it is 3.1.3, then it is real easy. Just use jailbreakme.com directly from its Safari tup jailbreak and then install ultrsn0w to unlock it because it's baseband still on 05.12.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Find out exactly what the firmware on this phone. If it is 3.1.3, then it is real easy. Just use jailbreakme.com directly from its Safari tup jailbreak and then install ultrsn0w to unlock it because it's baseband still on 05.12.

Okey dokes, I'll check that. And is it easy to update it to iOS 5 afterwards and keep the unlock as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.