Best Way to Jailbreak....?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by AndrewL11, Nov 26, 2007.

1. AndrewL11 macrumors member

Hey I'm getting my ipod touch 16 gb next week and I've been doing a lot of research on the best way to jailbreak/hack the ipod. I've heard Appsnap, Oktoprep? not sure what that is but have seen it's not working. I saw one on youtube, but the responses were all negative. I've searched up and down these forums, so if some1 can give me a reliable one where mail, stocks, maps, aim, calendar, notes....you get the picture. I just wanna have it saved so when I get it I can go right to hacking before I do anything. thank you.:eek:

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

How I did it on mine:

Upgrade/downgrade to firmware 1.1.1, if your Touch isn't already there. The .ipsw file is freely available on the internet, though I don't happen to have a link handy. You just put your Touch into "restore mode" and send the firmware file to it via iTunes. The instructions will be posted along with wherever you find the firmware download URL.

Then, visit jailbreakme.com from the Touch. Click on the "Install AppSnap" button and let it do its thing.

The OkToPrep thing is for if/when you desire to upgrade the firmware to 1.1.2. If there are currently issues with OkToPrep, then don't use it (and don't upgrade to 1.1.2 :) )

Follow the instructions (that are all over the 'net, just do a search) for adding the site "repo.us.to" to your Sources list in the newly-installed Installer.app (a program that will be installed as part of the jailbreak process). Then you'll have access to download and install the remainder of the iPhone apps (like Mail, Google Earth, etc.)

The OTHER popular method is to download a program called "iJailBreak" and let it do its thing, though I find it actually easier to just do it through the Touch the way I described.

Real easy, though granted the information you need is all over the place.

3. AndrewL11 thread starter macrumors member

The ispw. file? and how would I redirect it to itunes? lol I sound like a pain, sorry.

4. xJus10x macrumors regular

Hey I'm in the same boat as the OP. Could you just post a quick and easy guide on how to install the NES emu and roms. Thanks a lot!

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

First check what firmware version you've got. Go to Settings -> General -> About. If you're already at 1.1.1, you're good.

To put firmware version 1.1.1 on your Touch, follow the instructions here:
    http://www.ipodtouchhacks.com/ipod-touch/ipod-touch-112-to-111-downgrade-instructions/

When they say shift-click, that's for Windows versions of iTunes... on a Mac, you want to option-click.

The firmware will be loaded, your Touch will reboot, and you'll be at 1.1.1.

Then do the jailbreak by opening Safari and navigating to the following website: jailbreakme.com. Click on the link that says "Install AppSnapp" and follow the instructions. Really easy.

When your Touch comes back, you will have a new icon in your home screen called "Installer". Open that up, and you'll see a list of categories of new apps you can install. Go into the Games category, and find the NES emulator. Go ahead and install it.

I have no idea where to get NES ROMs, or how to get them onto the Touch, but if you search the forum, I'm sure someone else has instructions.

Good luck!