Best way to join two divx files

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Narked Diver, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Narked Diver macrumors regular

Narked Diver

Hi,

A long time ago I converted my DVDs to divx format and I'm now in the process of using iflicks 2 to convert them to iTunes format and import them into iTunes

A few of the longer films (Lord of the rings trilogy, godfather 2) were split over two DVDs and at the time I ripped them to two divx files

What's the best way to stitch these divx files together into a single file?

Thanks in advance for your help

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if you still have the dvds, how about just starting all over and encoding them to mpeg 4 h264 using handbrake., and erasing your divx files one by one

h264 is superior to divx.

the quality would be much better.

3. Narked Diver thread starter macrumors regular

Narked Diver

Unfortunately the disks are about 7,000 miles away so re-ripping them is out as an option :(

4. espanta macrumors newbie

There was a program called visualhub I used to use that was able to join files with success. I don't know if it is still supported anymore though. Better off getting a new copy of the movie in better quality.

5. Narked Diver thread starter macrumors regular

Narked Diver

Yep - I made the copies back in 2006 before I went travelling and haven't been home to get the originals yet ;)

Assuming I get hold of the original disks I'm still going to run into the same issue if I convert them to h264 - the films are split over two disks so somehow I'll need to join the resulting files into a single file

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

Code:
    cat file1.divx file2.divx > newfile.divx

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

How many movies do you have that needs to be combined, not the solution you asked for but movies like LOTR can be bought as a bundle through iTunes at a pretty good price.

8. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

If you had the original DVDs I'd say use DVD2One to join them. However, since you don't you can try AVItools to join your DivXs.

HTH

9. Narked Diver thread starter macrumors regular

Narked Diver

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'll give them a try over the weekend

The good old iTunes store in the uk doesn't appear to have any trilogy 'bundles' for Lord of the rings and it only appears to have to have the extended version of the first two films!!

10. dyt1983, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.