Best way to keep Macbook and iMac iTunes library the same and updated?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maf2k8, Jul 12, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Ok so i have a Macbook and iMac, depending on where i am and what i am doing i might add music to iTunes thru my macbook or my iMac...

So if i added "Album A" to my iTunes thru my imac, then the nextday i might want to listen to "Album A" on my Macbook.

I know i can stream from iTunes via the iMac and MBP from the "Shared Tab" in iTunes, but if my Macbook or iMac is not with me, then i cannot use that feature...

Pretty much i just want to have the same exact library on both systems and curious as to the EASIEST way to do this?

Could i copy the Media folder (music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music ) from my imac and MBP each night to one another? and just have it update the files that dont exist? Would this be my best bet? Would this work?

Or is there another way?

( i am curious about the same thing in iPhoto also, If its possible )

Thanks..

2. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. chanakya2 macrumors newbie

Best way I can think of

The simplest way I can think of is to create a smartlist on both your macs:
    Create a smart playlist, by going to File..New Smart Playlist.
    In the first column, select "Date Added"
    In the second column select "is after"
    In the third column enter the date before the last time you did a sync.
    Make sure "Live Updating" is checked
    Click Ok
    Give the new smartlist a name like "Songs Addes since last sync"

Click on the "Burn Disc" button in the status bar at the bottom right.
    Take the disc to your other mac, and rip the songs into your itunes on that machine.

Once you have synced both macs this way back and forth, you should edit the smartlist to set the date again - to the day before you did the sync.

I hope this is helpful. The only issue I can think of with this way is that you will lose your ratings on any songs you transfer this way.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

iTunes Home Sharing!

My wife and I keep our MBP and MB sync'd by using that. By selecting the option show only t allows you to see what music is not on the other computer and vice versa and you simply drag the music/movies/tv/app, etc to the right place.

Apple states- With Home Sharing in iTunes 9, you can stream and transfer music, videos, and more with up to five other computers on your local network.

YOu can actually set it up to automatically transfer purchases to all home shared computers. Note: Home Sharing does not automatically transfer iTunes Store content that was purchased before you turned on Home Sharing. You can still manually transfer iTunes Store and other content between Home Shares.

If you manually add movies and music you will need to do that yourself, but it is simple. Be sure to select the setting that shows only music/apps/movies/tv, etc that are not on both computers...can't remember what they call it, but it is on the bottom of the iTunes window when home sharing.

iTunes HOme Sharing Tutorial

5. michael.pks macrumors newbie

got it!

This is so cool. On your device that does not have the iTunes purchased music, books, videos, etc. go to the iTunes store. On the right select the tab labeled "Purchased." From there select "Not on this computer." After that it's even more simple--just click "download all" PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank you iTunes!