Best way to keep new keyboard clean

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by midniteriver, Oct 24, 2008.

1. midniteriver macrumors newbie

Hi. I just got my new MacBook Pro today. One problem I had with my old black MacBook is that the keys got really dirty... dust fell between the cracks, but, more annoying, from typing, the finish wore off and got shiny/greasy. Is there anything I can do to mitigate this problem, particularly the problem of ruining the nice finish on the keys with skin oil? I'd prefer not to buy a cover. Thanks.

2. Resist macrumors 68030

I'd like to know the answer to this as well and also don't want a keyboard skin.

3. LoganT macrumors 68020

Don't eat anywhere near the keyboard.
    Wash your hands after you've eaten before using it.
    Blow dust off as soon as you see it. Don't let it build up.
    When using it on a desk at home, use a wireless keyboard.

4. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

+1, I agree just get a can of air and use it every couple of days. DON'T EAT NEAR YOUR MB!!!

5. Resist macrumors 68030

I thought this was a no brainer.

6. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

You would think but my roommate in college spilled so much crap on to his keyboard and always wondering why the keys stuck. Trust me common sense is not all that common.

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

Well eating could be snacking on cheetos and just rubbing your hands on your pants instead of washing your hands.

8. deeesea macrumors 6502

if you're that keen on getting a mint looking keyboard, buy one of those moshi keyboard covers. I had one on my old macbook until I got tired of treating my macbook like a princess (read the novelty wore off) and i threw the cover out haha

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

My MBP is dirtier than a Vietnamese hooker with aids during the 60's.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Shiny key wear is pretty much inevitable. Just let it be.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sorry. Can't have the benefits of a skin without the skin lol. If we could no one would buy them.

12. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i have one of the keyboard covers on mine and heard about how u should not use one. supposedly it uses the keys as vents well my mac was around 50 degrees c i took it off and she has dropped 10 deg. so i dont know but i dont want to damage the latop keys. i dont want her to over heat maybe cutting some vents for the air to get out maybe in the cover i dont know

13. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Sorry, AIDS didn't exist back then.:D

14. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

+1

15. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

This is bunk because if a keyboard cover could cause the MBP to overheat, then clamshell mode would cause it to explode in a fiery death.

16. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

well i am just going on experience here. i agree to some extent in the clamshell but the screen does not sill to the keys so some air escapes

17. LoganT macrumors 68020

The Macbook is usually sleeping when the clamshell is closed.

18. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

If you want your MBP keyboard to stay pristine, you must get a cover. On the design of the new MBP's, the air intake for the fan is not under the keyboard, but rather (I know, it seems stupid...) where the vents are in the back.

Also, what size MBP did you get? just curious here....

19. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Hence he said 'clamshell mode', aka attached to an external monitor / keyboard / mouse.. so the computer is still running but with the lid shut.

20. Resist macrumors 68030

Even though I hate keyboard covers, I took the plunge and got a Moshi ClearGuard keyboard cover.

I must say however, that this Moshi fits perfectly. Being made out of urethane you can't crinkle it when washing, like with a silicone cover or it will leave creases. But being urethane means it's much thinner than silicone. When looking at my Macbook Pro from a few feet away, you can't even tell the cover is there.

I'm a fan now!

21. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Just keep it in the plastic wrap it came in, never take it out of the box and never touch the keyboard. It will be like new forever. ;)

Its a laptop - just use it! Keyboard covers are tacky and defeats the original design feel of the keyboard.