Best way to layout UI?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by softwareguy256, Jun 5, 2010.

1. softwareguy256 macrumors regular

I am working on a realtime mission critical decision making application, there are 3 pieces of data: 2 of the data are best stored in table views and 1 piece of data is just a bunch of summary information stored in uilabels that display properties at runtime and the command buttons for the user to do some actions.

I'm trying the best way to layout the data so the user is able to see all of it at one time without flicking back and forth. I am running into some problems right now having a UIScrollView within a UIScrollView.

( whole thing wrapped ina UISCrollView)
    |--------------------------
    | UI VIEW |
    ---------------------------
    UITABLEVIEW | UITABLEVIEW

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Without really understanding the relation the data has to each other it's hard to come up with an idea for a layout. If you can describe how they're related that would help.

3. firewood macrumors 604

Apple recommends drawing lots of pictures of your UI layout ideas.

Then you could show all of these pictures to your prospective decision makers and get some feedback.

Works better this way than spending a whole bunch of time coding things up, and ending up with an interface that nobody finds usable or attractive.

4. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

iPhone or iPad? You need to show a screenshot.

5. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Check out:
    http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2008/03/apples_design_process.html

According to the presentation by an Apple senior engineer, Apple requires 10 different, usable designs for UI layout (!). They believe that forces you to think about what you're doing and how the data relates to the user and the other data. It also forces you out of the implicit there-is-one-best-way-to-display-this-data that us non-design oriented developers fall into.